Another category please...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Established Member
Reaction score
We're all quite rightly obsessed by tools and machinery, but they are, after all, the means to an end - working the wood. Speaking for myself, I find wood in all its forms fascinating, and I'm sure there are a lot of forumites who have expertise and experience of different timbers and their characteristics, workability, finishing qualities, strengths, weaknesses, suitability for different projects - I could go on.
It seems to me that we all bang on pretty much exclusively about gear, whilst the material itself only pops up now 'n then.

I therefore propose a new category: Materials.
This could cover all materials of course. If anyone else thinks it's a good idea - please put a quick post on this thread. Maybe our much esteemed and highly respected (grovel grovel :wink: ) moderators will respond accordingly!

If you disagree,I'm happy to be shot down, but with suitable wit of course.
Who knows, our resident poet laureate MMD might even have a stanza or three!

Steve

Now I know from previous suggestions that our esteemed Administrator seems reluctant (or should this be careful?) about increasing the number of categories. Quite understandable as he obviously wants to keep the number within bounds and manageable. On the other hand, apart from tool collectors :( , we all start with wood, it is a whole study in itself for the reasons outlined by Steve, and without it these forums wouldn't exist. :shock: Although no specific 'materials' forum we do, however, have the Finishing Advice forum to learn what to put on it :!:

I feel there may be an argument for a specific category, although how would 'materials' be defined - to include, as well as timber, man-made boards and e.g. adhesives, fixings, finishing stuff, etc? Not sure that 'Materials' would be the right heading. Others may feel that General Woodworking is sufficient.

My views for what they are worth, but I have no particularly strong feelings either way.

Trev.

Hi Steve

I used to think that more was better in terms of categories but I must admit that I've come round to thinking the same way as Charley.

I think that there might possibly already be too many. Due to the number of categories I tend not to visit the hand tools section and, as a result, I have missed many interesting threads that would have been very useful.

Did I say hand tool threads were interesting? :eek:

Cheers
Neil

I think there are either too many as it it is, or the focus isn't right. Maybe some of the popular forums need splitting and some of the unpopular ones removing (just looking at the message counts). Then do it again next year. Natural selection, in other words.

Then again, maybe we could have some unrelated-to-woodworking political ones, just for... err... fun... :roll:

If you really want to pare things down why not just have a "rat" versus"liegh" forum. Probably been done before.

Newbie_Neil":3t8jjm07 said:
I tend not to visit the hand tools section
What?! Neil, I'm deeply shocked... :shock:

I don't really have an opinion either way on this, but I s'pose if the need is felt then it might happen. Although you could argue that as there's a tendency to ignore the existing catergories anyway, why bother? After all, shouldn't this be in "Comments and Suggestions"? :lol:

Claiming assylum in The Bunker, Alf :wink:

I'll play Devil's advocate here....

Steve... how do you envisage the progress of the proposed thread...?? what purpose would it serve...??

Back