Another Box Critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I would try another box.

It is about 6" tall wood is unknown from a old piece of furniture complimented with a piece of corian

Box.jpg

Sorry about photo being lopsided

Heya,

Love the corian. I think it realy adds to the box. Not keen on the finial though. ( not that i can do great ones myself ! )

Does the lid come off at the corian ? got a pic of it open ?

Loz

I had to look up what corian was...it's certainly very effective.

I think I'd agree about the finial not being quite right. When I covered the spike, leaving just a ball on top I liked it more.

Could the wood be old Honduras mahogany I wonder? Used to call it 'Spanish' mahogany I think. Not sure you can get it any more if it is.

Roy_H":35iib3ib said:
Could the wood be old Honduras mahogany I wonder? Used to call it 'Spanish' mahogany I think. Not sure you can get it any more if it is.

Spanish mahogany as I recollect has a very spicy smell to it and makes you sneeze a lot. Can be dodgy if dry as it becomes very dusty. Remember having a lot of it at school. Probably why there isn't much now. Over harvested like a lot of exotics.

pete

Thanks for the comments. The more I look at it the less I like the finial

Loz some more photo's the battery ran out in the camera earlier

Lower angle to see the shape of the lid
DSCF0007.jpg

A couple with the lid off
DSCF0008-1.jpg

DSCF0009-1.jpg

Forgot to wipe the dust off the rim

Ah the corian on the lid is very nice, almost marble like. Does it glue well onto wood ? ( im assuming it isnt threaded )

THe finial actually looks better from this angle - maybe it was the other photo put me off.

Loz

Very nice,shape looks better in the second lot of pictures ; like the overall form in terms of balance and proportion,particularly like the way it sweeps up from the main body to the lid,and actually think the finial suits it :D

Andrew

Back