Another bench thread.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ankledeep

Established Member
Reaction score
Just musing at the moment on building a new bench, which will be uhhm...different... It will have a router mounted underneath, along with a circular saw and retractable riving knife and either a mitre saw or (hopefully) a radial arm saw that can be moved out of its place on wheels and replaced with a solid section it will be at least 120 cm wide and 400cm long :shock: and live in the rough center of my 5m square workshop. designed for cutting and routing the width and embedded circular saw is wanted to enable me to handle cutting sheets up to 1200 x 2400 ply etc..since i have neither the room OR the spare cash for a vertical panel saw (or indeed the humongous table type panel saws). It will also serve as an assembly table, and general hand work point...(though not much mortice thrashing I dont beleive in thrashing...I have machines to do that sort of thing for me. Dust extract wont be a problem, I have that sussed...i think....Plenty of kreg track and a full length fence, or perhaps even a fancy fence made with routing facilities in mind...

NOW the question is...the top....I rather like the idea of using beech block worktop...as I have 8 x 2m lengths available at 38mm thick , in order to make a nice thick top able to have dogs etc in it, along with my collection of vices (swmbo would say too many vices) and even..perhaps a leg vice (my dog has one of those...he keeps humping the postmans leg...oh well....) could i laminate two of these worktops together to give 76mm thickness? if so...what glue/technique would the wise amongst you suggest?

Andrew.....

I would be cautious about glueing two beech work tops ontop of each other.. i would be inclined to rip strips of 80mm from the tops, plane them down to 76mm on the planer, and then glue them together that way. Effectively giving you a 40mm stave width and a 76mm thick top (if that makes sense!?) Beech isn't the most demensionably stable material known to man.
Hope that helps.

I assume it would be best to glue them bottom sides together? what glue would you suggest, PVA or .........?

Back