another bandsaw box thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkus88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I know there have been lots of bandsaw box posts but I'm starting another for my 1st attempt at one. I used ash and I think mahogany scraps. This is the first time I even attempted cutting curves with my bandsaw so they are not as smooth as I'd like. Also I know the drawers aren't going be a very tight fit but mine look too loose compared to other bandsaw boxes I've seen. I used a 1/4" - SuperTuff Carbon blade from tuffsaws, is there a blade better suited ie thinner blades that would leave drawers tighter fitting? Finally how should I finish it? I have boiled linseed oil, clear wax, clear varnish.

Thanks
Mark

The SuperTuff Premium blades are thinner than the Supertuff Carbon. They should leave a thinner kerf but they do require less tension on your bandsaw than the same width Carbon blade.

forgot to post the photos. Sorry about the quality taken on my phone with a flash.

Attachments

• P110312_22.25.JPG
    P110312_22.25.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 1,058
  • P110312_22.25[01].JPG
    P110312_22.25[01].JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,057
Hi Mark,

I think you can camouflage the bandsaw kerf to some degree. When I made my first one (which you can find here if you're interested), I just left the cut with square edges. i've since started another one (same design) and this time I have rounded over the corners of the cut and I think this helps a bit.

Also, with the drawers sitting on the bottom of the box there is an obvious larger gap at the top than at the bottom. I think the round over will help but I also put some sticky felt on the bottom of the drawer which lifted it up just enough to even the gap out.

I hope that all makes sense. Here's a pic of the one I'm currently doing, in sycamore, still needs a bit more sanding and a bit of oil and it'll be done.
sycbox.jpg

regards

Brian

Attachments

• sycbox.jpg
    sycbox.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 968
That's a nice one. I think you should round over the bottom left corner of the drawer to help even up the gap in keeping with the rest of it. It's going to look nice with some oil bringing out the grain.

Back