Annoying Axminster ad!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
I have to say the scrolling Axminster ad at the top of every page here is really annoyingly distracting. This is guaranteed to make me use ad block on this site again. Just saying.

I run adblocker, sorry to the site owners but i find them as annoying as you do. Currenlty its blocking 6 different ads on here.

I scroll down the page and it's gone. I don't even notice the ads.

However, ads usually bring in money to pay for forums. If you're happy to shell out some cash to look after this place, I'm sure it will be welcomed.

sunnybob":1r0r0uwo said:
I run adblocker, sorry to the site owners but i find them as annoying as you do. Currenlty its blocking 6 different ads on here.

I also run AdBlocker but still get the APTC ad at the top and a random ad on the RHS. Are there options I need to click to get it fully effective?

Thanks
Simon

There must have been a glitch somewhere for a long time as I had Adblock disabled for this site but the only ads that showed were the Axi and the other one at the top. That I could live with. Then one day they all showed ... #-o

I am with Tasky on this one.

We all benefit greatly from this site, seeing the odd advert is a very easy price to pay

James

I do not object to the ads and I disabled ad blocker here for the reason of site support. Animated ads are a distraction though. Hence adblock will be ion soon again.

The part I find intensely annoying is the repetition, of the same ad again and again.

I used to belong to a motorcycle forum (on the american Delphi Forums site) that had a "free" membership, with all the ads. Then you could pay a very small amount a year (like 10$ to go ad fee, and then for another $5 a year you could have a real sig pic and add as many pics as you wanted to any post.
I would not object to that kind of pricing structure here.

sunnybob":2zwmxcbu said:
The part I find intensely annoying is the repetition, of the same ad again and again.

I used to belong to a motorcycle forum (on the american Delphi Forums site) that had a "free" membership, with all the ads. Then you could pay a very small amount a year (like 10$ to go ad fee, and then for another $5 a year you could have a real sig pic and add as many pics as you wanted to any post.

If you have a tablet or smartphone you could achieve the same thing by downloading Tapatalk and viewing the forum through the paid version of Tapatalk.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Bodgers":263cd5un said:
sunnybob":263cd5un said:

If you have a tablet or smartphone you could achieve the same thing by downloading Tapatalk and viewing the forum through the paid version of Tapatalk.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Nope, and nope.

Off topic slightly, but does anyone else get irritated with the sheer number of email ads that Axminster send out - quick check tonight of my deleted item boxes showed 10 emails in 20 days, which is far more than any other hardware retailer.
I have written to their MD but nothing changed.

Freddyjersey2016":2zvgmapm said:
Off topic slightly, but does anyone else get irritated with the sheer number of email ads that Axminster send out - quick check tonight of my deleted item boxes showed 10 emails in 20 days, which is far more than any other hardware retailer.

They irritate me when they email saying thanks for dropping by - when I haven't - and to tell me that I've left my basket, then showing me a list of things I've not even looked at.

sunnybob":nca867dt said:
Then you could pay a very small amount a year (like 10$ to go ad fee, and then for another $5 a year you could have a real sig pic and add as many pics as you wanted to any post.
I wouldn't object to it either.... I just couldn't partake, mainly because I'm on many other forums that also offer it, and I have wood to buy!!
But it does work and is worth the money if you hate adverts that much.

Freddyjersey2016":nca867dt said:
Off topic slightly, but does anyone else get irritated with the sheer number of email ads that Axminster send out
I don't get any.
Have I missed any fantastic deals?

lots and lots Tasky but unfortunately - you'll never know :)

joking aside, I did get my EX30 at half price through one

Freddyjersey2016":2iyyq8lx said:

That's intensely annoying and could almost be classed as spam. I don't bother with their emails simply for that reason and unsubscribed as soon as I left the company - Rob

Would I be correct in saying the ads only provide revenue if they're clicked on? I never click on ads and so I run adblock because there is no downside for any party. However... As a user of this site, I would be happy to replace my Favourites link to Axminster and any other site I use with the revenue link for UKWorkshop. In my case that would be far more effective in terms of revenue generation because I always use my favourites links.

Droogs":1rjxe5h8 said:
lots and lots Tasky but unfortunately - you'll never know :)
Meh. I probably couldn't have afforded it anyway...

matt":1rjxe5h8 said:
Would I be correct in saying the ads only provide revenue if they're clicked on?
Depends on the deal between the site and the advertiser.
Some simply sell screen space, to be used by whichever advertiser pays to put their banner up, in which case the site gets revenue no matter what. Many will also restrict what can be advertised, like only tool ads on a tool-forum and no ads for marital aids or adult services. It's pretty much the same as buying air time or screen time on radio and TV.

Other advertisers do pay per click.
There was one genius who sold advertising space by the pixel, with those closer to the centre costing more. You literally get one pixel on the web page and every time someone clicks on your allocated pixel it costs you a dollar, or something. I believe said genius is now quite rich...

Back