Angle of a brace

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggy78

Reaction score
When making a ledge and brace garden gate what is the minimum and maximum angle a brace should be positioned at?

Attachments

• angle.png
    angle.png
    7 KB · Views: 0
I would imagine it's largely dictated by the shape of the gate, and how many ledges you have. I would guess around 45 degrees to be optimum, but I'm sure a grown-up will be along soon with a proper answer.

Probably more important than any precise angle is to cut in the ends of the braces. ….. and make sure you design it to hang the correct way. I say that as it is so surprising how many you see with the brace going the wrong way , making it virtually useless as a brace .
40854641-E0E8-4A41-8F10-C134F6E18693.jpeg

I would imagine it's largely dictated by the shape of the gate, and how many ledges you have. I would guess around 45 degrees to be optimum, but I'm sure a grown-up will be along soon with a proper answer.
As far as I know the angle should be 45 degree or more, any thing less is relatively inefficient. Now that we've established a min range i'd be interested to know what is the max range.

Extract taken from English Heritage contractors list available from County Council approved Contractors Department.

When making a Framed Ledged and braced door or just a Ledged and braced door important points should be noted the weight of the boards will make the door sag and the Braces must be positioned correctly to counteract this happening. the Brace must start diagonally from the lower Ledge nearest the hinge and is cut into that ledge and the opposite end of middle rail to stop it moving, then do the same from the middle rail to top rail. ( see image 1:Typical door height 2100mm widths to suit openings.)

image_2022-08-14_101301272.png

When using T&G, test fit all the boards before fixing. Don't fit the boards too tightly together use a spacing of a 1.5mm to 2mm gap since you want to allow for some movement due to humidity changes. Before fixing the boards paint T&G joints then use nails or screws through rails and the braces into the middle of each board . This should allow the wood to "move" and the tongue of each board will simply move in or out of its groove without opening up a visible gap. For high quality work, you might also consider lose tongs into groves cut into each board also counter boring each screw hole and finishing with a matching wood plug or fillers to stop ingress of water.

Back