Angle grinder safety

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
This is why we need guards and to wear goggles!

grind%20wheel.JPG

I have no idea where the missing bits went nor even when it happened. :cry:

Scary!

...and to make sure no one else is around unprotected too. Saw a woman down our road strimming the grass verge in her sandals last week, with people walking past, if it picks up a stone, it's a sling shot time, how do they get away with it?

Alan

or even a face shield if you are using something like this

DSC02093.jpg

DSC02094.jpg

I used it for carving rocking horses a few years ago - its removes a lot of wood fast !

You forgot the need for protective footwear ("steelies"), ear defenders coz they're noisy and gloves, Roger

Tusses":1nnokefk said:
I used it for carving rocking horses a few years ago - its removes a lot of wood fast !

...and even more flesh if you get it wrong I should think :shock:

RogerS":3camfnvr said:
At the time this happened I have no idea. I've used the disk for everything as it's supposed to be universal (cost a lot).

Use the proprietry disc for the material concerned, accidents don't happen then, as you've discovered, universal blades are not what they say the are.you can replace blades, but not eyes.

regards,

Rich.

Woody Alan":19m1wzy9 said:
Scary!

...and to make sure no one else is around unprotected too. Saw a woman down our road strimming the grass verge in her sandals last week, with people walking past, if it picks up a stone, it's a sling shot time, how do they get away with it?

Alan

People who mow the lawn without boots on amaze me. One of the worst 'normal' injuries I've ever seen was from a lawnmower over the foot, not that the initial trauma was too bad but the rough blade covered in every pathogen you can imagine did a good job of infecting it and eventually the foot had to come off just to protect the rest of the leg

Aidan

Even though they will cut metal I would not recommend it. Sometimes it is unavoidable, such as reinforcement in concrete, but care should be taken. If cutting metal use a specific metal cutting blade.

Dennis

MarkW":3qbvhu8i said:
Tusses":3qbvhu8i said:

...and even more flesh if you get it wrong I should think :shock:

Oh yes. On Extreme Makover - Home Edition the carpenter Ed (from England not USA) was using one of these to carve a 3D wooden flag. He was having problems as the guard was in the way so he removed it and the next thing was him in hospital with bandaged arm and hand having had an 'accident' the desciption of which included the words cutting and bone!

http://extrememakeoverhomeedition.onabc ... carpenter/ for a bit more info.

Misterfish

Doh !!!

I think you can see from the picture of the thing that its vicious !

and when you start it up its like holding a cobra - the gyroscopic forces make it want to twist and turn as you move it about.

You definitely wouldnt use it without the guard, and you would make sure you feet are well grounded, your balance is not compromised , and your work space around you is free from clutter. and when you switch it off, keep it away from you or anything untill its completely stopped !

I used to carve oak with it, and it went through it like butter ! hands and arms would be gone in no time :shock:

Wearing Kevlar clothing as chainsaw operators do would probably help to minimise any injuries, if you had an accident.

I was talking to a local farmer yesterday, and he told me that another local farmer had just cut two fingers off with a chainsaw.

Dennis

Back