Angle grinder opinions/recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a 9" angle grinder with diamond disc for stone/brick cutting. This is to cut a hole in the garage wall for my neighbour's old kitchen window and occasional slab cutting. My 4.5" grinder is just too small for cutting through bricks.

Is it worth spending ~ £80 (inc blade) on something like this Makita or is this Screwfix cheapy with separate blade good enough?

Any thoughts welcome.

Pete

Dunno about 9 inch version, but Screwfix's smaller 4 inch is a star. Mine is several years old and has chewed its way through several hundred yards of repointing, angle iron for frames, ground down welds...Recommended.

Mind your fingers, Sam

P.S. Their bikkie biter is cool too and about 2% the cost of a Lamello.

Pete

It's the blade that does the work and so if this is for occasional use then I'd go for the Screwfix. But...big but...I'm always chary about spinning blades and so I'd want a good quality blade....I spent £65 on the last one that I bought. You also need to ensure that you get the right type of diamond blade to suit the material. There's usually a chart on the back of a decent blade that tells you what blade is best for what material. You can overheat the bonding of the diamonds if you use the wrong blade on the wrong material and this results in fusing of the surface to a smooth surface. You can dress the blade again though (so I'm told) by running it through the material that it was intended for. DAMHIKT.

Why not hire?

Roger

I had a cheapie, a £40 "JCB" which did a huge amount of working before finally the spindle lock snapped. It's still useable, I just have to use molegrips to hold the spindle. It had soft start which makes a big difference - and is still going strong after a huge number of bricks, paving slaps, metal angle iron - and some very heavy going dense concrete.

Its one of the only "cheapie" tools I've bought I've ever considered really quite a good buy.

Its no longer available from Argos but the "replacement" looks pretty identical....

" Worx WX23AG 2300 Watt Angle Grinder. 711/0230
£49.99

* 230mm/9 inch disc.
* 6500rpm.
* Brush wear indicator.
* Soft start.
* Multi-position, anti-vibration, auxiliary handle.
* Spindle lock.
* Quick adjustment guard.
* Soft grip.
* 1 metal grinding disc.
* 2 masonry cutting discs.
* Carry case.

Hi all, I've been lurking for ages and I reckon it's about time I took the plunge and posted. I love reading these forums 'cos there's so much useful info on here so maybe I can put something back in, as it were.

I borrowed a 9" Ferm (with a standard abrasive cutting blade) from a customer recently and didn't feel happy with it at all. It felt very "cheap" and lightweight, although reasonably powerful, but it didn't have enough solidity about it to inspire any real confidence regarding either longevity or control.

I'd go for the Makita, having already got a fair bit of Makita stuff.

I have a diamond blade that I use for slab/block/brick cutting and, if it starts feeling a bit dull, I run it through a soft block to clean it. Perks it up no end!

I use my angle grinder all the time. Used Bosch for past 15+ years with no problems

I can recommend the Makita, as i have the 9"inch myself, and yes a Bosch would be good one too (i have a 4" Bosch)

Things to look for are a good spindle lock,

Secondly, Buy the diamond blade from Axminster, not Screw-fix. And yes there is a difference, and its notice-able.

If you need the dept, I can also recommend to rent a diamond cutter (petrol-one) as they have a munch deeper cut. (gets the work done much faster - less breathing dust)

McLuma

I bought a De Walt 230mm angle grinder in 1998 (when there was nowhere near as much choice as nowadays) for use in constructing my patio (split-level, 45 feet by 15 feet).

It is a heavy swine, but stood up to everything I needed, including cutting slabs, bricks, blocks, etc. I did put a good quality diamond blade on it and replaced with the same, three-quarters through the job.

Strangely enough I had cause to use it last Sunday, to cut a piece of concrete round-nosed path edging for my neighbour and I was surprised how much heavier it had got over the years! Very good tool, though. :)

Ray.

I bought a Bosch - because it came in a case and had two diamond blades and a number of sanding pads as part of a promo offer. Nice unit, bloomin noisy compared to the neighbour's B&D

Maybe a bit late but if you are still thinking about buying the Makita I noticed at the weekend that Ridgeons have it on offer at £69+VAT including a free diamond wheel.

Andrew

andrewm":3pm7qh91 said:
Maybe a bit late but if you are still thinking about buying the Makita I noticed at the weekend that Ridgeons have it on offer at £69+VAT including a free diamond wheel.

Well it is a bit late, but that's what I got on Saturday, with £5 off at the new power tool section at Nuffield Road.

Cheers,

Pete

Back