Angle Grinder Dust Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to remove paint and flatten some concrete using my 115mm angle grinder with a cup grinder, but the dust is an issue. I've found a dust extraction guard sold by PWM called a Dust Muzzle Ultra Grinding Cowl but it's almost £36 (inc. vat and carriage) and since it's only for this one job it's quite a lot.

Any suggestions for DIY-ing a guard, or one which I can buy for less than 30 quid? Hiring a concrete planer is out of the question as HSS want £77 per day :shock: That's blatant daylight robbery! Their cement mixers are also triple the cost of our local hire shop per day, but unfortunately they don't have anything suitable.

Cheers,
Mark

Not exactly extraction but try keeping the concrete wet whilst you grind it obviously be mindful of electricity and water also, this method works well when cutting concrete anyway.

deserter":3navs9rl said:
Not exactly extraction but try keeping the concrete wet whilst you grind it obviously be mindful of electricity and water also, this method works well when cutting concrete anyway.

I've tried keeping it wet but everything ends up getting sprayed with blue slurry

I think that gadget you found and linked to looks very good, and worth the money for the convenience of having a clean, safe workplace. You will be saving hundreds by doing the work yourself - perhaps you need to persuade yourself to re-invest some of the savings!

Interesting looking product, dont think I'd bother unless I was working indoors. Some well placed bits of plywood/rags, hosepipe and broom would probably be my weapons of choice to keep mess down outside.

JMO

No skills":2aqcoj49 said:
Interesting looking product, dont think I'd bother unless I was working indoors. Some well placed bits of plywood/rags, hosepipe and broom would probably be my weapons of choice to keep mess down outside.

JMO

The problem is that the dust isn't like normal stuff as the top layer of the concrete is painted grey-blue, so after only a couple of minutes I look like a smurf! I'll order the extraction guard tomorrow I think.

Thanks for the advice guys,
Mark

Back