Angle Grinder Direction of Rotation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the original post the grinder is shown in the same position in both images but rotating in different directions. They can't both be correct unless the grinder has a reversing switch, which would be unusual to say the least.
Which way would you prefer to use a chainsaw, cutting down so that the saw tries to pull away from you, or cutting up so its trying to get at you?
Whoever wrote the manual should be doing something different for a living........

In the original post the grinder is shown in the same position in both images but rotating in different directions. They can't both be correct unless the grinder has a reversing switch, which would be unusual to say the least.
Which way would you prefer to use a chainsaw, cutting down so that the saw tries to pull away from you, or cutting up so its trying to get at you?
Whoever wrote the manual should be doing something different for a living........
I think you've hit the nail on the head ! - I couldn't get my head around why in the 2nd pic the sparks are shown going toward the operator and not away...

I think it shows them both spinning the same way, in the second picture the sparks go up in to the guard and come out of the bottom :dunno:

I think it shows them both spinning the same way, in the second picture the sparks go up in to the guard and come out of the bottom :dunno:
Yes, they both look anticlockwise to me. Every grinder I’ve ever used or seen has spun this way, but has been used with the disc on the left, not the right.

I must say, if I saw someone using a grinder like in the picture, I’d tell them they were using it backwards. The first chainsaws were apparently made like this, (because you push a handsaw), but they were soon altered to the normal direction because of terrible leg injuries from kickback.

Edit: I’d also note that Stihl-type petrol cutoff saws, which you can’t flip over and move the handle, are all designed to run the opposite way to the picture.

Last edited:
Yes, having looked again I agree-they are both spinning the same way.
Doesn't alter the fact that the author of the manual should be encouraged to find a different occupation.

You can find photos of people who cut like this.
In any case, the general consensus seems to be that Makita got it wrong in their manual.... thanks!

1651744120188.png

1651744301485.png

1651744315264.png

1651744345815.png

That's why guards with a tool less adjustment are so good.
I agree but when purchasing it is a good adea to check its effect on depth of cut. My son has a 125mm Dewalt 18V, the adjustment clip substantially reduces the depth of cut.

I recently purchased a new mains, 125mm angle grinder. It is an occasional use tool for me so having to use a screwdriver to adjust the blade is not an issue and I do want to maximise the cutting depth. Ended up with a Dewalt based on price and perceived quality. It has a screwed adjuster.

If I was using one regularly and needing to adjust the guard often then I would look for a tool less adjuster which did not reduce the depth of cut.

The pictures were accidentally reversed by the non-grinder-using Art Department drone who did the layout for the hand-book.
Practical types being usurped by arty-farties, yes, could be.

There’s an advert going round, where an emergency plumber saves the day by throwing a tool at a valve to turn off the sprinkler system. But it’s a lever ball valve and it gets turned in the ‘on’ direction.

Practical types being usurped by arty-farties, yes, could be.

There’s an advert going round, where an emergency plumber saves the day by throwing a tool at a valve to turn off the sprinkler system. But it’s a lever ball valve and it gets turned in the ‘on’ direction.

Cos I’ve nothing better to do……
892E4604-32D3-42E4-BA48-6F71C908CC1C.jpeg

Now the disc is spinning the wrong way!

Yes, the pictures cannot have been reversed (accidentally or otherwise), nor can be reversed back... because then the discs are spinning clockwise, and that isn't happening.... (that's based on the spark patterns).

So, the discs are always going anti-clockwise, and cannot go clockwise as that would loosen the nut....

Hence, despite all the good natured banter and fun, it seems that some people use the tool so the sparks go away from you, including Makita, however they appear in quite the minority. And there's no reason this AG is different than others and I should follow their picture, rather, I will continue to cut how I always have!

Thanks for all the input - appreciate it!

At 5.45am on Saturday morning this is making my head hurt. I don't understand it but haven't got the will to try to!

You can find photos of people who cut like this.
In any case, the general consensus seems to be that Makita got it wrong in their manual.... thanks!

View attachment 135123
View attachment 135124

View attachment 135125

View attachment 135126
Still all incorrect as you don’t have good control.
I agree but when purchasing it is a good adea to check its effect on depth of cut. My son has a 125mm Dewalt 18V, the adjustment clip substantially reduces the depth of cut.

I recently purchased a new mains, 125mm angle grinder. It is an occasional use tool for me so having to use a screwdriver to adjust the blade is not an issue and I do want to maximise the cutting depth. Ended up with a Dewalt based on price and perceived quality. It has a screwed adjuster.

If I was using one regularly and needing to adjust the guard often then I would look for a tool less adjuster which did not reduce the depth of cut.
Hi,
The guards that use a screw to hold the guards always come loose . The type of guards I have found are best for adjustment are the type wher you press a spring clip as they don’t require any tools and rotate easily. If you are using cutting discs the discs always tighten up so you cannot get them undone. On a large grinder the best way is to use a spring loaded fastener which allow you to remove the disc with no tools in seconds. On a small grinderette you can get the Milwaukee type which you can twist by hand, if these get too tight you can simply put a screwdriver in the fastener to release.
Regards,
Dave

Still all incorrect as you don’t have good control.

Hi,
The guards that use a screw to hold the guards always come loose . The type of guards I have found are best for adjustment are the type wher you press a spring clip as they don’t require any tools and rotate easily. If you are using cutting discs the discs always tighten up so you cannot get them undone. On a large grinder the best way is to use a spring loaded fastener which allow you to remove the disc with no tools in seconds. On a small grinderette you can get the Milwaukee type which you can twist by hand, if these get too tight you can simply put a screwdriver in the fastener to release.
Regards,
Dave
I'll second that on the quick release nuts. Someone on here recommended them a few years ago and I've got one on all the grinders I own now!

the right hand drawing shows the cutting in the dead zone......
Never cut at the front of the wheel.....
Ive been using cutter grinders for as long as I can remember, even the huge 12"disc's....
and always with the sparks comming out behind me....
cutting the other way u have no real control.....
after long hours working u can rest ur arm on ur leg to help with the weight of the grinder....
next to a hammer my 9" grinder is my most used tool....I buy disc's by the 50.....

And always use a full face visor. If it kicks back on a big grinder you will take your teeth out if you are only wearing goggles and don’t forget the ear protection.
Always! Grinder safety is beaten into us on most sites we go on and its one thing I'm more than happy to go along with. The noise really grates on me as well so I always wear plugs when I'm using one. Watched a guy the other day with a stihl saw cutting a roadway using the safety squint method. Just makes you wince.

Back