Angle grinder buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right your are. I needed one to smooth the cut edges om the posts I'm going to cut tonight. Otherwise I wouldn't have.

I recommend a variable speed angle grinder as it makes for a safer and more versatile tool. It means jobs like sanding and flap discing (new word!) can be done without the risk of burning the wood or overheating metal. Also when cutting thin materials I find full speed is not necessary.

I'm currently using one of my Makita's with a dust cowl to sand decking.

Edited to replace picture

642fa5a3f1d88bc66fa168c74d9ab365.jpg

I have a few tools with variable speed. i usually set them on half and never ever change them again :lol: :lol:
And if anything is going to go wrong, its always the variable speed. (hammer)
My router table vario has died today, only bought it last year, used it a half dozen times. Opened it up and its non repairable. (hammer) (hammer)

Mark A":3gdtclpn said:
I recommend a variable speed angle grinder as it makes for a safer and more versatile tool. It means jobs like sanding and flap discing (new word!) can be done without the risk of burning the wood or overheating metal. Also when cutting thin materials I find full speed is not necessary.

I'm currently using one of my Makita's with a dust cowl to sand decking.
dfd6c88fdd30c5a3ba98d5f897f12f90.jpg

Would be a neat idea, if I already didn't have a random orbital sander from metabo. For sanding table tops and decking, I find that to be a much more suitable tool combined with abranet discs and a shop vac. Virtually no dust on the workpiece. Also a lot quieter and smoother to handle than an angle grinder.

I needed a strong angle grinder to cut down steel components, posts etc, for which I do intend to safely attack it with all the power it comes with.

But that dust cowl looks interesting. How efficient is it?

I'm using the grinder to sand back to bare wood before tidying up with random orbit sander. My belt sander would be easier but it's too long and awkward for this.

The cowl is ok. On a flat surface it does collect a good percentage of the dust, but I'm currently sanding 2x2 balusters so the cowl is less effective. There's less dust around with it on than off, but still not pleasant.

Used and abused a lot of grinders, the variable speed Makita 115mm seems the best in every way. The soft start 230mm Makita is also the best without spending 3x the cost of it.

Don't go with a cheap nasty one, too much vibration, you will pay one day.

I was doing some joinery on a big old farmhouse a while ago. The place was getting re pointed and the owner was grinding the old stuff out himself. He bought a cheap grinder from B&Q which didn't last long, he took it back and got another under guarantee, same happened again. He got through I think 4 grinders in the end, just kept taking them back and getting new ones. I suggested why not just buy a decent one but no he was happy going to return them every few days #-o

I have had a corded Metabo one for years which has never missed a beat but I recently bought an 18v Makita one which is really handy, it runs at a slower speed so seems easier and safer to use.

--Tom--":2qz15kur said:
If you want the best, It’s a metabo wepba IMO

With the jobs you’ve mentioned a cheapy 4.5” will be fine. Worth getting the thin stainless cutting discs, they make much easier work than the standard.

Worth getting a set of ear defenders to go with it, they’re loud things

+1

I’ve had mine a few years now and it’s still as good as new. It operates very smoothly (well, as smoothly as an angle grinder can) and is very comfortable in the hands. I also have a Makita and a Hitachi but I always reach for the Metabo first.

I have both sizes. The one I use all the time is the 9". I think it is branded Titan. It has two guards: one covers both sides, one just the top. It was about £60 from screw fix (including a case) and has cut about 160 limestone slabs, about 200 thick paving blocks, around 400 clay tiles and various other stuff. It is not worth buying used. Personally I think a 9" is far more versatile if you just have one.

They are so cheap that if you get three years out of it, then it has earned its keep. My experience is these are tough tools and last forever. My small one (Elu) is over 30 years old. Buy good quality disks and use the correct one for the job in hand.

I've used the DeWalt 4206 quite a bit and I don't really like it much, it's rather bulky as far as 4 1/2" grinders go which means you almost have to hang onto it with two hands and that makes it feel a bit unwieldy and awkward for the smaller jobs that a 4 1/2" grinder is suited to.

The one I really like is the Makita GA4530R, it's got a fairly slender body to hold onto and it's just a good workhorse for day-in-day-out work, I've wrecked one but that was after 5 years of very hard work doing all sorts of daft things and for the price point it had paid for itself many times over and I promptly bought another which is serving nicely.

Well, everyone champions what they bought, don't they?
I got a Milwaukee.
It has metal gearing rather than nylon, so might last longer (why I bought it) and has done everything I asked (including some things I probably shouldn't have asked) for 2 years.
The cons are that you pay a "brand" premium; it's powerful and I generally use two hands - perhaps a little less beefy would be good.
It's corded; only once have I wished it were cordless.

Re. safety it's up with the table saw in terms of stuff I fear. Wear goggles, ear defenders and solid gloves. And keep all loose clothing out of the way.

I’ve got a few corded angle grinders but I’ve got an old portacabin to dismantle next week, so having done this before I’ve just invested in a cordless grinder (I’ve fed the green & black addiction and got their new one). Looking forward to seeing if it’s as good as the reviews. I’ll post a mini review if anyone’s interested?

does anybody have a Metabo with this type of nut or similar? (seems other grinders use a similar nut)

My grinder doesn't have this, it has the traditional one with 4 holes and a spanner. I use it one way round for most disks and reverse it for thin cutting disks. will this alternative work for both, I like the idea of tool-less changes.

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...wBXaWptKEx4MpEaVAK6XBdD4JMEBhfuUaAtYeEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Those type of 'tool-less' nut were available from the likes of Screwfix a while back. Mine lasted for a while then something was a bit tight and inevitably a screwdriver was put in to the lift up handle to give some extra leverage. Result, handle broke off. I usually have two or three angle grinders at any one time and it's surprising how something that looks very similar can vary. They are often used for several hours at a time (de-rusting old railway wagons) and balance of the tool and the position of the on-off switch is more important than how quickly the spindle nut can be undone. My latest DeWalt grinder uses an Allen key rather than the more traditional two pin spanner. I have yet to make up my mind but do know that the supplied black Allen key is hard to find when you drop it on the ground!

To come back to your question about reversing the nut, no you can't. Would I bother to buy another, no, but others may think differently.

Tony Comber

I like the idea of tool-less changes.
As do I so I got the one Bosch do as shown below. Still have my non brushless Makita grinder but it eats battery power too fast to be of much use and last year added a Dewalt corded model to my line up to cover heavier use requirements and the Bosch nut fits both easily (and probably all overs too that share an M14 thread)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-30 at 19.06.09.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-30 at 19.06.09.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
Just turning on a 9'' grinder for the first tine is an experience not forgotten. Feels like it wants to twist out of your hands. I hired one many years to cut out a doorway in a brick wall. As others have pointed out they have to be treated with respect. For most home handyman stuff a small 4'' will do. I would also urge you to use the guard and the side handle. The side handle means both hands are on the machine so less chance of cutting some fingers off.
Regards
John

Back