Angle grinder buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hello all

I need to cut out some chain link fence posts that we discovered behind the now trimmed hedge in the garden.

Was thinking of cutting them out with an angle grinder. I always wanted one for odd jobs but never bought it as I used to borrow from my old work. Don't have that option any more.

If rather buy a quality used one than a cheap new one. It is for general DIY only.
Any advice on make, model, size and age related issues, experiences would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you in advance :)

I have a Bosch one, 5" I think. it is a beast, I wish I had a standard 4 1/2" one instead.

Interesting!
I was going to ask, would you recommend the 4.5" or the 9" one for DIY use?

And what wattage?

The nine is good for paving slabs, blocks etc. but the small one is much better for day to day use. Get one of the stands like the ones sold by Lidl, Aldi etc. or on line for less than £15, they are great for accurately cutting small angle and bar. A wire cup brush, some flap discs, some thin steel cutting discs, diamond discs for cutting stone and away you go. I have an old Bosch (1988) that refuses to die and have not long bought another cheapie just to leave mounted in the stand permanently. I think most are 650w - 750w.

Cheapy from B& Q will do the job, Mine had lasted a long time. I found out ages ago from a bearing company. Cheap or expensive. They all use the same bearings in them.

9" is not for general DIY unless youre stronger than Arnie. :shock:
4 1/2" is lightweight and will do most tasks. I have a makita, I'm happy with it, but its a tool that almost all makes do well.

If you want the best, It’s a metabo wepba IMO

With the jobs you’ve mentioned a cheapy 4.5” will be fine. Worth getting the thin stainless cutting discs, they make much easier work than the standard.

Worth getting a set of ear defenders to go with it, they’re loud things

125mm is the useful size. It will also take smaller 115mm discs. As the man said, 9 inch discs are a little intimidating and too big for many tasks.
Makita make a good value range.
Metabo are noted for making quality angle grinders.
Look for a tool free adjustment of the guard. The old style that rely on a screw or bolted clamp when you want to rotate them left or right as you change cuts are a pain.
All grinders are noisy. You do want one that keeps the vibration down.
They are a really versatile tool for cutting through steel, use with a wire brush or flap disc to remove rust and scale and clean before and after welding, use with stripping discs to remove paint.
Also of course cutting / grinding stone and concrete and with arbortech style cutters for power carving.

The ear defender advice is a must. It's also one of the tools where I reach for a face shield. Wire brushes losetheir bristles in use and cutting metal makes sparks ...

The big ones need a lot of respect. Ask any A&E doctor.
Get a small one but bear in mind that they can also bite.
Get the cheapest one from screwfix and put the box and receipt in a safe place for possible return in the next 3 years.

Good shout on the ear defenders. Was able to keep my Peltor ones from my last job and I can hear my own heart beat when they're on.

How is the DeWalt 4206 with the soft start?
This caught my eye.

Thanks for the recommendations of the metabo and others.

Definitely looking for 4.5" now.

A bit of advice for anyone new to angle grinders is about the abrasive discs. Don't just stock up with more than you need for the current job. They have a date code on and the makers advise you not to use old discs because of increased risk that they will disintegrate when whizzing round at high speed.

True story, happened to me.
I'm in an A&E cubicle for a very minor septic fingernail.
the curtains are drawn around me.
The nurse goes outside my cubicle and starts talking to someone but I only hear her side;
Oh, thats a lot of blood from your leg, how did you do that?
An angle grinder?
NURSE!, can someone clean up all that blood in the aisle before someone slips on it?
OH, you had to drive yourself here because you were on your own?
OH, lets get your boot off, oh, its filled with blood.
At this stage there were running footsteps and several people rushed in and I heard him being wheeled away.

I truly dont know what happened to him unfortunately.

Disc cutter, angle grinder, call it what you will, treat it with respect because it takes no prisoners.

I had one of the old B&Q own make disc cutters, I had that at least 20 years, quite possibly longer and it worked hard for its place in my workshop.
It finally died a couple years ago and i bought the makita.
One thing I at first did not like on the makita but came to appreciate is the on switch.
I can not operate that switch with one hand. By having to take a two handed hold on it it's easily controllable on the first twist of power.

My first and only injury (touch wood) from an angle grinder was when in uni, tried to cut a chamfer on a 2mm Ali sheet and went 4 mm into my left index finger.

Since then I wear cut gloves, eye and ear protection and am properly careful.

I was fortunate to get away with just that, to be honest.

having read this thread, I realised that I actually need an angle grinder myself.

I have just gone for the Metabo w9-115. Even though I won't be using it every day I chose it based on the low vibration. £59 posted from Nuts and Bolts via Ebay. Makita and Bosch were similar prices, and even though I could buy 2 cheap ones for the same price, if I replace the cheapie in 5 years with the same, I may as well have had the better one from the start and hopefully not replace it.

marcros":2kg9c4iw said:
having read this thread, I realised that I actually need an angle grinder myself.

I have just gone for the Metabo w9-115. Even though I won't be using it every day I chose it based on the low vibration. £59 posted from Nuts and Bolts via Ebay. Makita and Bosch were similar prices, and even though I could buy 2 cheap ones for the same price, if I replace the cheapie in 5 years with the same, I may as well have had the better one from the start and hopefully not replace it.

With the same logic, I have opted for the DeWalt 4206. For £65 from Screwfix, it has a higher wattage motor (1010) and has soft start. I also ordered a wire brush and a set of cutting discs and a flap disc. Neighbors are going to love me now!! :lol:

I'll see how that works out.

Latest posts

Back