Angle grinder broken - can I fix this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pallet Fancier

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Parkside mains powered angle grinder (yes, yes, I know, green stuff, again) a few weeks ago. I tested it when I got it. Worked fine. I left it on the shelf for a couple of weeks. Now, when I got it down, plugged it in, pressed the switch, I hear a clunk, the spindle rotates half a degree... and that's it. Each time I pull the trigger it clunks, rotates half a degree, and nothing else.

What kind of fault is this?

Is it likely to be mechanical or a fault on the PCB?

What might explain the fact that it worked on day one, then died while on the shelf? Or did plugging it in the second time kill it?

Am I being ridiculously optimistic about fixing modern power tools, or have I just been watching too many AvE vidjayos? ;)

Is the spindle-lock locked on?

Can you freely rotate the cutting disc?

When powered on does it rotate to the same position and stop regardless of starting point or just ‘twitch’ regardless of starting point?

Is the spindle-lock locked on?

Can you freely rotate the cutting disc?

When powered on does it rotate to the same position and stop regardless of starting point or just ‘twitch’ regardless of starting point?

The spindle lock is free. Checked that.

I'll have to go and check that the disc/spindle rotates freely. Can't remember.

When powered on it twitches regardless of starting point. It's not going forward a half degree, then back again.

Take it back and get a refund (y):)

This, of course, remains an option. I'm mostly curious to see if I can fix it, in which case I've learned to fix it if it happens to something else!

This is a Lidl tool. If I trash it while learning, I lose £20, not £80 for something from Screwfix.

there are only 3 moving parts on a grinder which coincidentally is the number things you should check. :)
1. the disc, does it spin by hand, if not, check the spindle lock (already done that) then move to the next option
2. the gear box, you can't do much to check this without pulling it apart, but give it a gentle tap on the back with a rubber mallet to make sure nothing has slipped internally.
3. the motor. pull the bushes out and see if one has gone cockeyed or split.
everything else is invasive and not worth digging in to, take it back and get another one.

Hi Pallet Fancier. Try renewing fuse and check for corrosion. It does sound as though a capacitor is failed or disconnected.
You could try rotating an installed disc on a hard surface and while it moves in the normal direction pull the trigger. Doing this should overcome a duff capacitor and start the motor.
Also if the tool is variable speed try moving the control in case the slider is not making contact due to debris. Good luck.

This will be a brush motor tool and angle grinders are not usually variable speed.
I wouldn't waste my time but you can pull the brushes out to check free movement, and especially, check that the spindle lock hasn't jammed on.
If you open it, then I imagine you loose your right to refurnd. There only going to be a power switch inside plus maybe a small capacitor which is there to reduce sparking at the commutator / electrical noise emissions . It's not essential for the tool to run.

Back