Andre Roubo’s Try Square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nder

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend asked me if I have made one and would be avle to make one for them.

I'd not heard of them so did some web searching finding not much info other than the web pate on popular qood working and Chris S.

I read somewhere that the ogee on the blade denotes which edge is true. Which I quite like the idea of.
It does mean two squares would be needed for outside amd insode marking.

Anyway back on topic, has anyine ever made one?

Is there much to them other than:

A good bridle joint.

Checking for square and adjusting whilst glue goes off.

Having a bit of extra on tue balde to allow for truing up.

Also wouldnt the 3,4,5 method be tue best way to ensure it is square?

I read somewhere that the ogee on the blade denotes which edge is true. Which I quite like the idea of.
It does mean two squares would be needed for outside amd insode marking.
I was thinking about this and I don’t think I have ever in a lot of years used the inside edge of a try square to mark from, but I do use the inside edge to check an edge for square so it does need to be able to be trued after glueing, which means that the difficult edge- the inside one- should be constructed so that to true it up you only need to plane/ shave away from the handle, almost impossible the other way, it would be beneficial to have the grain going in the right direction to facilitate this as well. Obviously the top edge is easy, so I am a little doubtful about the decoration denoting in or out on the original. I think the decoration was put there just because they could, just like on an old wooden plough plane. Ian

I think the decoration was put there just because they could, just like on an old wooden plough plane. Ian

Another possible reason my be to disyinguish from pieces of scrap in the workshop.

Fair point about the grain.

I made one (from the popular woodworking article I think) and it's exactly as you said. I think from memory I used a small square clamped to the stock during gluing to make sure it came out about right (not necessarily required but since I had one...). I didn't bother pinning the stock to the blade, the joint and the glue seemed to do OK. I liked using it actually as it was nice and light, and warm compared to the stock of a combi square. Only issue I had was that I found when I was using a marking knife with it, the knife would take nicks out if I wasn't careful. Easy enough to true up again though.

I trued up the outside edge by drawing a line, flipping the square over and offering it up to check it was still lining up and planing down the blade until it was right. 3,4,5 method would work as well but I try and avoid measuring things given I have a high failure rate!

Need to make another one actually as I need a large square for casework. And yes, it got an ogee just because it could.

Another possible reason my be to disyinguish from pieces of scrap in the workshop.
That is a good point. More than once I have used scrap wood to make "jigs", "guides", even boxes for workshop use and then found them hard to locate a few months later. I'm sure I must have thrown some out during my (very rare) clear outs. Currently I am searching for some reamers I know are in a nice box I made from some scrap 4x2 but either is is nicely camoughlaged amongst the other stuff strewn about or I have unknowingly disposed of it. Nowadays I make a decent looking box or whatever then deface it by scrawling on it with a marker pen to identify its purpose.

That is a good point. More than once I have used scrap wood to make "jigs", "guides", even boxes for workshop use and then found them hard to locate a few months later. I'm sure I must have thrown some out during my (very rare) clear outs. Currently I am searching for some reamers I know are in a nice box I made from some scrap 4x2 but either is is nicely camoughlaged amongst the other stuff strewn about or I have unknowingly disposed of it. Nowadays I make a decent looking box or whatever then deface it by scrawling on it with a marker pen to identify its purpose.
I mark some of my special things with a bit of bright coloured gaffer tape.
https://www.gaffatape.com/fluorescent-gaffer-cloth-tape/

All good info.

Think I've also just found my perfered tape for wrapping presents. Cheers Jacob.

I've thrown a square together with off cuts.

Came out as accurate as my reference metal one so my prep was good.

One cock up was that the blade was narrower than my smallest chisel. So. It looks a bit sloppy as I had to saw and sand the bridle joint.

So I'll do another one but matched to the width of the chisel.

Like this one?

Lay-Out-Square-html-68ebc036.jpg

Christopher Schwarz popularised this several years ago. I added a lower section for added reference …

Lay-Out-Square-html-7ecc088f.jpg

Article: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/LayOutSquare.html

It was a fun project largely making half-lap joints. Useful.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back