Andersonec (Andy) Box wip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks fantastic and thanks for posting, loads of ideas for me to ponder on and i love the look of those layered splines! I realise it's probably the simplest part of the box but i was surprised at how much impact they had against everything else that was demanding eye time :)

Dean

DMF":3adz6zr8 said:
Looks fantastic and thanks for posting, loads of ideas for me to ponder on and i love the look of those layered splines! I realise it's probably the simplest part of the box but i was surprised at how much impact they had against everything else that was demanding eye time :)

Dean

Dean, simple yes but but because they are so small and neat they do add that little something. I got a cheap blade for the table saw from Atkinson Walker which I use solely for these, it is a 16 tooth flat top tooth blade, cost about 16 squids if I remember, it has a 2.8mm kerf and five layers of veneer fit just right.
With an odd number (five) layers you can have various selections of patterns such as
AA-B-AA
A-BBB-A,
A-B-A-B-A,
And these sequences can be swapped round to suit the colour of the timber eg.
BB-A-BB
I keep all my off-cut strips of veneer about a foot long and glue them up as required, a two inch wide strip will give more than enough, just make sure they go all the way in to the bottom of the slot (hammer) #-o

Andy

Very nice finish. I do like the splines myself, might pinch them for a future project ;)

Thanks Andy, really interesting to see WIPs like this and it's all posts like yours above that has really started to make me think properly not only about tools and working methods but more importantly what you can achieve with them, for that i'm off to figure out this official thanking lark :)

Dean

DMF":2er0o3qa said:
Thanks Andy, really interesting to see WIPs like this and it's all posts like yours above that has really started to make me think properly not only about tools and working methods but more importantly what you can achieve with them, for that i'm off to figure out this official thanking lark :)

Dean
We will get you making a box one way or the other :lol:

Have a read of this young sir ;)

been-thanked-have-thanked-t66880.html

Thanks for the encouraging comments chaps, I've been doing another for a friends daughters 7th birthday, bet you couldn't guess what her name is :lol:

Made with Maple and Walnut with some pretty Maple veneer for the top of the lid and Anigree veneer on the inside, used those layered splines again only 'cos I like 'em. I did some hunting on the net for a nice font for the name, wanted the thing to be quite contemporary so it wouldn't age as she grows up

Lina 1.JPG

Lina box 1.jpg

Lina box 2.jpg

Lina box 3.jpg

Lina box 4.jpg

Lina box 5.jpg

Andy

Attachments

• Lina 1.JPG
    Lina 1.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 595
  • Lina box 1.jpg