And you thought you had building problems .....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
There's cowboy builders, there's Cowboy Builders, there's even COWBOY BUILDERS but top of the pile is Colin.

This from a near neighbour ...

Concerning builders .... I now have four estimates which includes all the remedial work necessary after the structural engineer’s report and everything else that has come to light in the meantime. Colin cause structural weaknesses by cutting through the bedroompurlins and early problems in with wooden props from the floor joists. The whole structure has to be bypassed with I beams between the joys right across the sitting-room ceiling. He also put the dormer window on roofing felt rather than plastic so it has to be removed and reassembled as well. The lead flashing has been done incorrectly and has to be redone. In the garden with the central gable end post is not strong enough and condemned by building control.

Only the garden extension was ever registered but now I have registered the whole building so it has to comply. He never attached the roof of the extension to the main house correctly and there is no lead flashing their either. There is no guttering and there is no lead flashing on the dwarf wall on the three sides of the extension so it all has to be redone.

Nearly all the tiles crack especially in the ensuite as the only use standard chipboard and not waterproof and the shower screen was not fitted correctly and has leaked. Even before tiles cracked right along in several places indicating there is a problem with the floor. These are all new things that come to light recently. And of course I still have no working bathroom through lack of tiling and second plumbing fix . I paid for the tiles but have never seen them . I have not attempted to contact Colin this year.....

...The whole building is inadequately insulated and I still have major heat loss from air gaps thanks to Colin not sealing anything. Even the replacement and new windows are below current regulation standards.

The fact the builder has pocketed 90% of the contract value upfront gives me the impression he is a deliberate cowboy rather than inept.

We have a colin around here, the last 3 weeks i have been working for a customer who had an extension done through the summer and in the
end the builder he employed walked away leaving it unfinished and the work he had done was a right mess. The first day was spent removing
£9 each tiles from a shower enclosure as the tray was running away from the waste so i could reset the tray luckily it was not stuck down.
The customer has been taking photo's so hopefully he will get some money back. Nothing straight or level and gaps everywhere. So beware
chaps their are colins everywhere.

Back