And they think the beaches are packed out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur

Established Member
Reaction score
Victorian bank holiday Blackpool.

Attachments

• 20210531_091332.jpg
    20210531_091332.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 336
That’s a great picture - not a bikini or pair of board shorts in sight!

The Lancashire towns all went on holiday at once and together to allow the mills to carry out maintenance during Wakes week. I remember my grandmother telling me how Oldham became a ghost town - her father was a fitter in one of the mills so they stayed behind.

The Lancashire towns all went on holiday at once and together to allow the mills to carry out maintenance during Wakes week. I remember my grandmother telling me how Oldham became a ghost town - her father was a fitter in one of the mills so they stayed behind.

Same in the pit towns as well my father told me. Each pit town booked their week in their nearest resort scheduling it along with the other local pits so they didn't clash too much. The pit would close entirely, the horses would go to a local farm and the whole town would be bussed off for their holiday so the kids would all be with their school friends as well. I am told the cost was taken out of the wages each week but I am not sure if that was a universal thing or just happened in that particular pit.

They did indeed, they were called Wakes weeks and they continued until relatively recently but have petered out in the last 20 or so years, mainly because of changing employment patterns. Same in Scotland. I can remember even in the 1960s Blsckpool still had a "Scottish week" ,(well, more like a Scottish fortnight) in July when the place was wall to wall "weegie" accents

Are you sure it's Victorian? Looks more like the 1920's to me.

I grew up outside Edinburgh and my mates all went to Blackpool - how I envied them - during 'Trades Fortnight'. We went to Caithness.

Leicester had 'July Fortnight', the first 2 weeks in July. I think Derby might have been the second 2 weeks.
It was always known as 'July Fortnight' as far back as I can remember. We were lucky to get a day trip to Skegness (Skeggy) on a Barton bus from Humberstone Gate, usually on a Saturday and the area was packed with coaches going to different places. Happy days, we didn't know anything better.
Anybody else remember them?

Trafford Park manchester not only had the industrial centre based there, it also housed the workers for the many engineering companies on the park.
They in turn had their own lake and boating for the employees to enjoy what off time they had. Some of the old films and photos of the era show a happy community life.

Whats worrying is the time spans between total changes in the way of life we have. Its getting shorter and shorter between major developments.
And the young, God bless em, think that being a computer wizz will last forever as a job. At the moment Manchester is classed as the place to work and rolling contracts for developers etc are available in abundance.
I fear at some point as the millions employed get older and set in their ways there will be another huge swing in technological development.....now we can see this because,....well we are old farts and have been through it.
But no one believes us now as they plough on relentless.
But come the dawning of new technology where internet,mgbts, etc are tucked away in the corner of a museum it would be wise to add more strings to the bow.

And I hold my hand up to the fact the photo is not Victorian.....and the tea pot which actually served pots of tea was still going strong in the 50s.

And tucked in there, which you can just see in the actual photograph is a man with two donkeys completely surrounded trying to sell rides to kids.

But come the dawning of new technology where internet,mgbts, etc are tucked away in the corner of a museum it would be wise to add more strings to the bow.
You have a table saw powered by an MG B? Or am I misunderstanding something? I would think a lot of MG Bs are already in museums.

I would think a lot of MG Bs are already in museums.
Best place for them. They were awful things - sort of a Spridget on steroids (that or an A60 Cambridge with the top cut and shut) but with very little more performance and far soggier handling. I "graduated" to a BGT from a mk.4 Sprout (so called because it was green...) and was so impressed that I sold it 3 months later and bought a mk.3 Midget. Happy days.

As to working class holiday places, near Rochdale there's a little place which goes by the name of "Rochdale on Sea", even though it's 500ft above sea level and in the middle of the Pennines...

Back