And remember: there's no more important safety rule....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
if you dont know the rest of this then you should hand in your tools ;)

I did think that my ordinary glasses were good enough, Norm's dont look particularly special. But a chip managed to get by them and into one of my eyes. no harm done this time, but its made me think.

I'm considering getting some safety glasses with a prescription, anyone done the same. If so what do they look like and do they work?

Tom

Whe the company I used to work at realised that spectacle wearers could not wear the safety glasses provided they told us all to go to our normal opticians and have safety glasses made and to get the bill sent to the company.
The 'glasses' had plastic lenses and side shields but had no protection at the top of the frames to keep swarf from entering the eyes when it went over the top.
They were Ok for normal use but if there was likely to be a lot of swarf flying around I always used a full face mask.

Tom,

I bought a pair from Specsavers, cost about £47 IIRC, I don't think they look too bad:-
Dscn3471s.jpg

What do you think? :wink:
They are a bit heaver than the normal reading glasses, but they are comfortable to wear.
Dewy is right, there is no top protection, but I chose biggest lenses they had and when pushed right back there is not much of a gap at the top, may be I have just got big eye brows. :roll:

DaveL":3i2owbpc said:
Tom,

I bought a pair from Specsavers, cost about £47 IIRC, I don't think they look too bad:-

They are a bit heaver than the normal reading glasses, but they are comfortable to wear.

They look okay. I'm having a hard time finding any decent ones. We're overrun with "fashion optical" shops here. Ask for anything outside their normal range and you get blank, vacuous stares.

When I was a kid, there were mostly single stores and they'd do anything to sell some specs.

I've got a pair of wrap-around safety glasses that fit over the top of ordinary glasses. They work really well too, sometimes I forget that I'm still wearing them after I've turned off the router (or whatever). Can't remember the make, will have a look next time I'm in the workshop (if I remember)
John

Dave - nice glasses. I mess around putting my reading glasses on for marking up etc and swith to full safety specs for cutting.

Do I see cufflinks and a wristwatch? Not around power tools I hope! My better half would kill me if I wore a white dress-shirt in the workshop!!!!

I have a pair like daves provided by my employers, but as I only need them for close up work i prefer to use a wrap around style in my workshop. Simular to cycling glasses, fit close up to the face and are optically correct in the curve of the lense.

Bean

Back