And people wonder why they get their identities nicked...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
...sitting in the pub last night...fairly quiet...reading me book...and up pipes Sonny Jim at the bar on his mobile to some store or other and loudly gave over the phone his name, address, card number, start and expiry dates and the security code off the back.

Now...about that new widget I was after :twisted: :twisted:

That also got me thinking about wif-fi hotspots...so sorely tempted to get some sniffing software on my laptop, wander into the local Hilton hotel and see what tasty digits I can hoover up for later perusal :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So not only did he give his card details to some anonymous person on the phone (quite probably in a callcenter and not actually an employee of the firm he was buying from) he ALSO gave them to evreyone in the pub!

Roger

unfortunately, that huge lump of cast iron will ony be delivered to his address these days, as most companies will no longer ship elsewhere.

I think sonny jim will get what's coming to him one of these days :roll:

On a similar sort of note...

Sometimes my bank call me (not often!) to check something with me, starting with that lovely phrase 'I'll have to take you through security' and they ask me one of my 'secret' questions... and my answer is always the same - You tell me!
They seem to be non-plussed that I want them to prove their idenitity to me before I divulge any of my details, which leads me suppose that a lot of people just hand this information out without a second thought. Potentially very dangerous!

Most annoying incident was when I rang in to order a paying-in book and they had to 'take me through security' even though I didn't want to discuss anything personal. I told them that the paying in book wasn't a secret and they could send one to everyone in the country for all I care, but they still couldn't see sense.

Banks... don't get me started about banks!

Tony":39z1jiyl said:
Roger

unfortunately, that huge lump of cast iron will ony be delivered to his address these days, as most companies will no longer ship elsewhere.

I think sonny jim will get what's coming to him one of these days :roll:

Ooh...not in my experience. I use quite a few companies who are quite happy to ship to a different address to the billing address. I think whether or not they do depends to some extent on the terms of their credit card people.

Terry Smart":3pbniqd7 said:
On a similar sort of note...

Sometimes my bank call me (not often!) to check something with me, starting with that lovely phrase 'I'll have to take you through security' and they ask me one of my 'secret' questions... and my answer is always the same - You tell me!

Oooh..we call that 'social engineering' in security circles. As you say, how many people stop to think that it might not be their bank calling them. Could be anyone :lol:

Had a letter the other day asking me to ring a certain number "our fraud office" A little later I recieved a message on the answer phone to "call our fraud office" on a different number. I recognised neither of these numbers so I looked up an account statement and phoned their office to see if they recognised these numbers. I thought maybe someone was trying to get me to give away card details, passwords etc.

Anyway it turned out to be their fraud office, and they had reason to believe my card had been compromised. They asked did I recognise these payments made by phone.One for £620, one for £35 another for £30 and one in a shoe shop for £261.

None of these were mine, and I did say that if my wife had spent £261 in a shoe shop it would be the police I would be talking to as I would have killed her :evil: :evil:

How anyone got my details I have no idea, my last face to face transaction was back in June, I have purchased something off the net via Pay Pal, Upgraded to broadband via the net on a secure site, and made one telephone transaction.

Anything that comes through my letterbox with any personal details goes into the shredder.

My card was stopped immediately and new ones issued but it makes me wonder whether I will ever use them again.

Still in shock Alan

Bad luck Alan - hope it's sorted soon. :shock: Still worrying, though, that that can just happen without any knowledge of it on your part.

I have occasionally received telephone calls on my home phone (ex-directory) which start off: "can I just check your name/address/post code or whatever for security purposes." In all cases that is the end of the call, terminated by me. No idea who they are as a 1471 inevitably tells me 'caller withheld their number' - which in itself tells me that I am doing the right thing.

Cheers,

Trev.

That was bad luck Alan,

My guess is the datils were swiped either in the face to face transaction or over the phone, contrary to popular belive it's hard to swipe details over the net, but for the other case you only need one rotten apple, the person who took the details off you.

Hope you get it sorted

Les

I am in the middle of trying to sort out who has spent £961 on our Visa card last month. They have been on holiday via easyjet and bought some Australian Dollars via Whatif.com as well as a Tesco Topup. The other companys have all said that they agree we were not present at the transaction and are going to refund the money. Easyjet have opted to try to prove it was us that have had some tickets.

We didn't lose the cards or have them stolen. We have always used Chip&Pin and the only online purchases we ever have made are from Axminster or Amazon. The fraud department at Visa say it must have been someone from a mail order company, as they have the security code, address, card name, number etc. Aapparentlythey say the some employees are known to be selling the details to other people.

We shall see :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

syntec4":byvm34ch said:
Easyjet have opted to try to prove it was us that have had some tickets.

Ouch...I see Stelios is placing Customer Service at the forefront! So presumably he thinks that you paid for someone else to go on holiday?

But seriously, there should be an audit trail...from your card through to the flight manifesto and so the names of the crooks should be listed..unless they were using false passports. Or Easyjet aren't checking passports against flight tickets...which in itself is probably against goodness knows how many rules and regulations.

If it were me I would make a formal complaint to the police about this one.

Sytec4 - Wow, that's really scary since I use Axminster & Amazon quite a lot :x
Also Axminster will send stuff to a different address if I ask them to. BTW I'm sure you're all aware that sending card details by e-mail is a complete no-no.

About four years ago,I had about £1500 taken out of my account,by someone using my card to pay for hotel bills around Teesside (although the card was still in my possession)

Got the money credited back to my account within days,but they didn't refund the bank charges for someone else making me go overdrawn :cry:

My pennyworth;

If I was so inclined I am quite certain I could ascertain other persons pin numbers. It can only take a little practice to watch people tapping in their pin number and work out which row they used to type their number and then left or right of row etc.

Yesterday at the supermarket I had to ask the assistant for my credit card back, otherwise I could easily have walked away without thinking. If the assistant who must have lots of eyewatching time on her hands is so inclined she had my card and could work out the pin and then pass on to an accomplice. Some people remember make a living at what are called con tricks.

One bank I use (cahoot) have given me a webcard which is essentially a program on my computer which generates a one off credit card on my screen. You set the maximum amount payable and quote your details to the mail order company with impunity knowing that they won't be able to use the number again. Quite usefull. I must admit I don't use it all the time but this thread will make me more keen to use it.
MBK

I have had my card used in fraud. An employee at a shop that I had used the card, used the details to do some mail order shopping. The unusual buying patten was picked up by the bank and they called me to verify. The upshot, police arrested person who was having all goods delivered to their home address. Proved that he was an employee who had access to my details, and that some motorcycle parts ordered were for his make and model of motorcycle, although he denied he had used the card. Police were staisfied with their case and charged him to appear in court. Crown prosecution discontinued the case as not being in the public interest. Four years later, I'm still waiting for the requested explanation. No deterent, just a lot of time and effort by me and the bank to no avail.

Freetochat; you have got to remember the prisons are full there are perhaps no vacancies for white collar crime :x
I beleive Holloway coul have accommodated the culprit perhaps :x

Freetochat":fly0yu3d said:
Four years later, I'm still waiting for the requested explanation. No deterent, just a lot of time and effort by me and the bank to no avail.

You can apply under the Freedom of Information Act now and they have to provide the information within a reasonable (ie shorter than four years) timeframe IIRC.

It must also have been demoralising for the police since they'd clearly got him 'bang to rights'. Shame we lost our colonies.

A couple of years ago I had a store card for argos after only a few weeks of having the card it was used for purchases which were not made by me.

Turns out an employee had passed the details to a friend of theirs of my card & other customers which they then used to purchase goods with the card details when the employee was on checkout then they would return the goods for a cash refund

Argos was not very helpful in this situation & I was getting nowhere until I phoned their Head Office the receptionist some how managed to put me through to one of the directors of the company who was not happy(Putting it mildly) I had got through to his mobile on his way home from work one evening I explained the long story (This is the short Version) & eventually it was sorted but not without a lot of grief & the only compensation I got from Argos was a letter & £20 gift voucher which they forgot to send with the letter

Back