And Here is the News

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
News, here in NZ anyway, is all pineapples.
News and current affairs programmes invariably end with the announcer, presenter or whatever they're called these days concluding with some variation of 'and that's our show for tonight...'
I suppose 'show' is factually correct because that's all it is - entertainment dished out to titillate the feeble minded.

It was meant to read bo!!ocks but apparently that's a naughty word.

I certainly wouldn't trust either the BBC nor the Channel 4 news teams to report in an unbiased manner especially when it comes to politics and the Conservative party, not that I'm a Conservative supporter myself I might point out.
Far from it in fact as I'm not a fan of the current government and to be honest I don't often watch the usual UK news sources if I want unbiased news reporting but when I do watch them, it's patently obvious that the news invariably contains gratuitous anti-Boris and anti-Conservative messages.

It's not hard to see why.
Both the BBC and Channel 4 are in the sights of the government for selling off so it's in their interests to get rid of the threat and what better way than to continually broadcast negative news reports.

I've never understood why we have to pay for a television licence which is effectively a tax which criminalises the poorest in society for not being able to afford additional costs so that the BBC mandarins can live the lavish life to which they have been accustomed.

If we are to pay a TV licence then fine but the taxes raised should be shared out equally with all broadcasters and not just given to one broadcasting body.

Yes the BBC does good work with regard public service broadcasting and it along with other programs from independent broadcasters should be funded specifically for doing so but if the BBC wants to avoid resorting to commercial advertising for funding as with other commercial stations then let it be a subscription only service so that those who wish to watch BBC programming can opt in to their service rather than forcing everyone to pay an outdated wealth tax which in this day and age of hugely rising inflation, is just another thing for the poorest to struggle to pay.

Re the TV licence, I disagree with having to pay for a licence to watch any channel but only the BBC gets the money. To me it is akin to buying a daily express through choice but also having to buy a copy of the guardian at the same time. ( other papers are available!)

I have a generally very low opinion of the news media who seem to:
  • select stories based on maximising audience (print or TV),
  • dumb down the presentation close to a lowest common denominator
  • use emotion rather than rational analysis to drive the presentation
  • seem intent on creating a political agenda rather than reporting upon it
The only paper which consistently seems to report objectively is the Financial Times - possibly because unambiguous thoughtful report and analysis is the key to making the best financial decisions - the main reason the paper exists.
couldn't agree more Terry ....I'm also fed up with MP's and others being harassed and grilled by reporters to ridiculous lengths in an effort to make them trip up or say something innocent that can be misrepresented or manipulated to say something they didn't mean. I'm all for accountability but how is how that News ?

I’m sufficiently old to remember the news being read out in BBC English so that you didn’t have to interpret different regional accents and allowed everyone a good chance of understanding what’s being said. Now, ah nawt agin ah dialect bein a tyke me-sen.
BBC English may have been a bit plummy, but at lest you could understand them, on Southern Television we have a programme announcer who sounds like his dentures are loose, children learn how to talk by listening, is it any wonder a large proportion of teenagers have appalling diction and heavily stylised speech and mannerisms.

is it any wonder the majority of teenagers have appalling diction and heavily stylised speech.
Do they actually speak anymore, I thought that they all communicate via devices so removing the need for social interaction. If you look at the parents they are busy starring at their phone and the poor kid is just ignored, they are missing out on so much which us older folk took for granted, our childhood.

Gentlemen...I removed at least 14 climate change posts in this thread and removed a couple other posts that violated the UKW rules. Please stay on topic, or the thread will be closed.

Gentlemen...I removed at least 14 climate change posts in this thread and removed a couple other posts that violated the UKW rules. Please stay on topic, or the thread will be closed.
Mike,
Apologies for posting off topic.
I did get drawn in as the environment is a topic very close to my heart but please help me here, you didn't consider the TV licence to be equally as off topic even though the environment is a far more important and urgent issue and IMO should get as much News exposure as possible.

Mike,
Apologies for posting off topic.
I did get drawn in as the environment is a topic very close to my heart but please help me here, you didn't consider the TV licence to be equally as off topic even though the environment is a far more important and urgent issue and IMO should get as much News exposure as possible.
Historically, topics about climate change, politics, and religion generate as much controversy as sharpening threads and have resulted in members being suspended and banned. Since sharpening is a core UKW topic, we have more tolerance for the discussions. So far, TV licence topics haven't created many problems, but if it does cause the thread to spin out of control, we'll respond. :)

Deema's original post was about the presentation and accuracy of the news, not specific content.

Historically, topics about climate change, politics, and religion generate as much controversy as sharpening threads and have resulted in members being suspended and banned. Since sharpening is a core UKW topic, we have more tolerance for the discussions. So far, TV licence topics haven't created many problems, but if it does cause the thread to spin out of control, we'll respond. :)

Deema's original post was about the presentation and accuracy of the news, not specific content.
Now I understand, thank you. (y)

With regard to reporting news.
What I'd like to see is more scrutiny of the private lives and professionalism of the TV reporters and presenters for a change, many of whom it seems take a delight in harassing and effectively vilifying MPs etc who they very often ambush during an interview about something completely different in order to get a 'story'!

These people are in a position of power which can change public perceptions/views both fairly and very often unfairly and they too should be held to account.
If news editors in charge have any political leanings, then they should be removed from their posts or strictly censured for the sake of removing bias from news reports. That wouldn't stop them from reporting news but it should prevent the constant biased slant I observe in many reports on a daily basis.

They all want to be Jeremy Paxman it seems and make a name for themselves in order to further their careers so let's put them under the spotlight for a change.
We all saw the ugly side of sewer rat journalism with Bashir and the Lady D interview and I'm sure he was just the tip of the iceberg so what's good for the goose.....

it's the subject itself, when you talk about news it's not easy to not talk about politics and contentious issues, I find it difficult to talk about the BBC for example without talking about their right leaning bias, which seems to be completely ignored by most people.

Last edited:
it's the subject itself, when you talk about news it's not easy to not talk about politics and contentious issues, I find it difficult to talk about the BBC for example without talking about their right leaning bias, which seems to be completely ignored by most people.
I thought they are left leaning!🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes he's very watchable. Can't stand the background music though - seems to be even worse with Attenborough. If I wanted to listen to mad irrelevant music whilst watching a documentary I could play my own banjo!
It ought to be optional like sub-titles but there would be no takers I think.
would be nice if we could have the music and no attenborough whispering comments as a choice.

If I remember correctly the bbc tried with wimbledon once to just have the court sounds and no commentary, it was great but of course it meant that the commentators aka past it players didnt get to waffle on and on and on.......

Historically, topics about climate change, politics, and religion generate as much controversy as sharpening threads
Politics and religon are easy to grasp, but climate change cannot be as controversal, as far as I am aware there have been no wars about climate change. Then sharpening, how can that be a controversal subject included with religon and politic's because it is just sharpening, sharp tools cut and blunt ones don't so nothing to get upset about but I dare say plenty to learn from the woodworking sharpeners.

would be nice if we could have the music and no attenborough whispering comments as a choice.

If I remember correctly the bbc tried with wimbledon once to just have the court sounds and no commentary, it was great but of course it meant that the commentators aka past it players didnt get to waffle on and on and on.......
Or continue to be paid an extortionate amount of money for commenting on something we can all see and hear, and continue to supplement their mega pensions.

In war truth is always the first casualty, in today's world news was the first casualty of truth!

They were called reporters, they just reported what happened, then
They were called journalists, they just journalised the opinion, then
They were called presenters, the just present what they are given, then
They were called commentators, spouting a diatribe commentary without fact, now
They should be called "pineapples" for all the "pineapple taking" they do

They were supposed to report the headlines, not make them!
They should be the first against the wall when the revolution comes!

BBC World Service is a mine of information and well-researched items. BBC and ITV News I find too lightweight and full of soundbites. Channel 4 is cringingly 'woke', hand-wringing and 'virtue signalling' for my taste.

BBC World Service is a mine of information and well-researched items. BBC and ITV News I find too lightweight and full of soundbites. Channel 4 is cringingly 'woke', hand-wringing and 'virtue signalling' for my taste.
Yes C4 can annoy all the right people!* And a good thing too IMHO.
*no pun intended! :ROFLMAO:
There's a very healthy trend of non-news but topical and intelligent "woke" content/comment in R4 and R3, from Start the Week onwards

Last edited:
Back