And BREXIT Bites

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another thread has been dealing with the ramifications of BREXIT on getting goods into and out of the EU. This thread is about concrete consequences, like me, being based in Rep. Ireland, losing access to most of the Amazon Prime UK library.

My Amazon Prime subscription is with Amazon UK (Because there is no Amazon Ireland), and up to now we've been enjoying watching various shows.

But no more. As the UK has left the EU, Amazon is no longer required to provide Prime UK subscribers with access to the UK library when they are outside the UK, and it doesn't. Only to strictly limited content.

Suddenly and with no warning, we can't finish Season 8 of 'Scandal'.

So that's one good rule that the EU enforced. I will have to see if it's worth keeping the subscription or switching to another EU country, possibly Italy. I will miss the free deliveries, though.

Have you tried setting up a VPN (NordVPN seems to work fooling Amazon) and then watch the rest of the season?

And my friend in Poland reported the same issue, also suddenly and without warning...

Yes you guys in the North are on the wrong side of the customs border, thanks to Boris! It'll be interesting how Amazon & Co. interpret that rule. Does that mean subscribers in NI are in the UK jurisdiction, or out of it?

Good VPN cost, and that added to the cost of Prime is making it unattractive right now, given that we already have Disney+. We moved from Netflix to Amazon so we might just move back.

Mind you, I am paying for email (protonmail) and they have a VPN solution which I might look at as a bundle.

Have a look on Quidco. They were doing some good cash back deals on NordVPN before Christmas.

Well, let's take it as given that I'm not interested in paying extra for a service I am already receiving*. You may also take it as given that I'm not interested in free services (because if the service is free, the product is you**). So that limits my options.

So my choices really are switch to an EU Amazon or switch to an other service. Oh, I might look into the HBO one...

*I am generally interested in VPN but I don't need one enough to pay for one and frankly, fooling subscription services doesn't rate as a 'need'.
**I pay for my email, I pay for this forum, if I like a musician I'll buy the album, if I like an author I'll buy the book, and I pay for online storage***
*** Well not since I set up my own private cloud at home.

This is rather concerning:

Brexit Pushes Most Europe Share Trading Off Top U.K. Venues

Aquis Exchange Plc Chief Executive Officer Alasdair Haynes told Bloomberg TV on Monday that 99.6% of its European stock trading moved to its parallel venue in Paris. Cboe Europe saw 90% shift to its Amsterdam venue, while 92% of such trades on London Stock Exchange Group Plc’s Turquoise platforms were inside the bloc by 3 p.m. in London. The moves represent about 4.6 billion euros ($5.6 billion) of trades, according to data from Cboe Global Markets Inc

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ost-100-of-europe-share-trading-off-u-k-venue

This is rather concerning:

Brexit Pushes Most Europe Share Trading Off Top U.K. Venues

Aquis Exchange Plc Chief Executive Officer Alasdair Haynes told Bloomberg TV on Monday that 99.6% of its European stock trading moved to its parallel venue in Paris. Cboe Europe saw 90% shift to its Amsterdam venue, while 92% of such trades on London Stock Exchange Group Plc’s Turquoise platforms were inside the bloc by 3 p.m. in London. The moves represent about 4.6 billion euros ($5.6 billion) of trades, according to data from Cboe Global Markets Inc

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ost-100-of-europe-share-trading-off-u-k-venue

Well thank god our economy doesn't rely on the service and finance secto....... 🤦‍♂️

Yes you guys in the North are on the wrong side of the customs border, thanks to Boris! It'll be interesting how Amazon & Co. interpret that rule. Does that mean subscribers in NI are in the UK jurisdiction, or out of it?
I'm still watching prime. :)

But an item I bought on Amazon a few months back is up £21 and now doesn't post to NI.

NordVPN is a shockingly bad VPN. Terrible speeds and constant disconnects. They sucker you in with low cost. But trust me I used them daily for a few years.
Pay that little extra and get a proper VPN service - I use Express VPN, and it's worth every penny.

Just my 2 cents of course. And no I'm not affiliated with them or any VPN service provider in any way. I just have strong experience/opinions of them.

Years since I posted here but lately started getting daily summary emails!
Same with me JC, I have a VPN for the bbc iplayer which works great but Amazon knows as soon as I connect the VPN for prime. It’s a pity, will probably let my prime membership go now once it expires.

Bought bits from Wealden tools. Normally here next day or day after for £5. Now £15 and sent parcel force. Not their fault but for Northern Ireland Brexit is a disaster at the moment with regard to ordering from the mainland, and this is someone who voted for it but hey ho no doubt people will make money off it as usual.

Bought bits from Wealden tools. Normally here next day or day after for £5. Now £15 and sent parcel force. Not their fault but for Northern Ireland Brexit is a disaster at the moment with regard to ordering from the mainland, and this is someone who voted for it but hey ho no doubt people will make money off it as usual.

All this farce about 'no border on the island' is just that - a farce. All it'll take is for a cow to have a sneeze or a sheep to have a sore foot, and the Iron Curtain will fall again. Remember the Foot & Mouth crisis 20 years ago? Couldn't smuggle so much as a budgie across the border for 6 months!

I've used NordVPN for a few years. I'm just an occasional light user. Not had any problems with it. Got a great 4 year deal on their U.S. website back in July.
I used it to watch stuff on the Virgin Media app whilst abroad. I think VM now have ways to detect VPN or location to stop you using it abroad.

Back