• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

And another what is this tools called/used for post?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon folks
Well I invested a couple of pounds at my local knick knack emporium in this thing, just because it feels nice and if I knew what it was I could use it purposefully!
Boxwood handle overall about 6" long with the steel part sort of screwdriver shaped, yes with a little work it could be a large bradawl, screwdriver, carving chisel, plumb bob the list could be endless but what is it please?

thanks
DSCF6143.JPG
DSCF6144.JPG
DSCF6143.JPG

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Agreed thats what it could be but its not London Pattern or Cabinet or Oval or Gunsmith or any other variety Ive found - its short and quite stubby (well it is now) so still whats it? what used for ?

dickm

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if it’s something a Sadler might use.
Certainly looks from the handle shape as if it was meant for pushing through something to make a hole, prior to stitching. But since it's about 1/4" diameter, it would be one heck of a hole!

dannyr

Established Member
Reaction score
It's surely just a bradawl, ie for making start holes for screws, nails etc -- on the larger size, but don't think it looks as big as 1/4in dia from the rule.

I find bradawls very useful.

Leather/sailcloth awls are similar, but not usually with the screwdriver-type point.

don't think this one is, but just check that the handle end doesn't screw off - some had a set of interchangeable points of different sizes inside the handle

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Just measured a gnats under 1/4" and tried cautiously to unscrew but it doesn't looks more a "push" fit akin to a file and handle

6x4

Established Member
Reaction score
That’s a bradawl. The flat edge (not a point) when kept square will sever fibres when rotated and not just push them aside

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments after looking around the web and old tool suppliers I think 6x4 has really cracked it :)

stuart little

Established Member
Reaction score
I say it's a saddlers awl, I've got one that was my dads who worked in the old Milwards shoe repair factory in town. I've sharpened the end to use as a wood awl.

jcassidy

Learning.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
A bradawl. According to Paul Sellers, you push it in cross grain and twist it 90° back and forth to cut the grain and create the hole. Useful near edges where shoving in a standard round awl might split the wood.