Ancient Stihl chainsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My old faithful beast of a Stihl 048AV has been languishing while I've dealt with health issues, but is now needed to deal with some monster Picea abies that had to be felled as being a danger. So of course it won't now start and investigation suggests a dead ignition module. Trouble is it's long obsolete, and there seem to be various different modules depending on ???. As a start, finding the serial number would help, but so far have failed to find it. Any of you wise folk out there with Stihl kit know where it might be hidden.
And, of course, if you knew where to find a replacement for this module, you'd be a genius!
048 ignition.jpg

Have you tried taking the magneto out and cleaning everything up. Then reset the gap using a sheet of thin paper or polythene to get the gap as small as possible. Sometimes you can have rubbish stuck to the magnets on the flywheel which can affect the generation of the spark. It could be the angle the picture is taken, but the top gap on the magneto looks quite large?

+1 for a quick clean up and gap set, if you still don't get a spark try Garden and Hire Spares online, they have a good range of replacement Stihl bits

Silly question maybe, is it definitely the ignition module?
Is the module an SEM or Bosch? Both are out of production of course and finding one may end up costing you £300 odd.
There is a fix for some of the older 045/056 saws but not sure about the 048.

Stihl
wanted €175 euro's for an ign modual for a fairly new model.....
it lasted 14months......the old stihl's were v good, it's just the modern c@rp.....
I will never buy Stihl again....
A large dealer in the south of England stopped selling them because of warranty claims.....
He like me will only buy/sell Japanese equipment.....
Everything I have is all Echo.....

The part number should be on yours somewhere, so fairly easy to check if it's the right one.
The problem is that the module on the saw, which apparently dates from 1984(!) is a completely different form from the later modules. This one has what I suspect is the electronic bits mounted separately from the magneto coils (that's what makes it look like the gap is wildly out - it isn't) and doesn't appear in anyone's part list that I can find. As Noel says, there are at least two OEM versions, one by SEM and one by Bosch, but from what I can find, neither looks like this antediluvian model.
The saw still has a compression kick like a mule, and in the days when it worked, would work all day. It only cost me £50 a decade or so back, so don't feel like shelling out £100 for the unit L&S are offering, Their one looks exactly like the ones that are available in Germany (not original) for under £20, but noone seems to be sure if they will fit. The mounting points are right, but there seems to be some distinction for some of the sellers between flywheels with 1 or 2 keys.
Will try contacting Sagenspezi to see what they know. Hope their English is better than my German. Wife used to speak pretty good German, but the years and the Alzheimers have put an end to that.

The problem is that the module on the saw, which apparently dates from 1984(!) is a completely different form from the later modules. This one has what I suspect is the electronic bits mounted separately from the magneto coils (that's what makes it look like the gap is wildly out - it isn't) and doesn't appear in anyone's part list that I can find. As Noel says, there are at least two OEM versions, one by SEM and one by Bosch, but from what I can find, neither looks like this antediluvian model.
The saw still has a compression kick like a mule, and in the days when it worked, would work all day. It only cost me £50 a decade or so back, so don't feel like shelling out £100 for the unit L&S are offering, Their one looks exactly like the ones that are available in Germany (not original) for under £20, but noone seems to be sure if they will fit. The mounting points are right, but there seems to be some distinction for some of the sellers between flywheels with 1 or 2 keys.
Will try contacting Sagenspezi to see what they know. Hope their English is better than my German. Wife used to speak pretty good German, but the years and the Alzheimers have put an end to that.
It maybe worth searching for an original working model of your saw for sale on the usual sites , this could be used as a donor for other parts you may need . I personally only use stihl equipment chainsaws blowers and strimmers etc as the back up service from stihl is pretty good . However as a word of warning make sure your supplier registers your product with stihl as they won’t accept it from the buyer and therefore you can lose your warranty . A lot of online suppliers will not tell you this so you won’t find out until you make a claim. Also keep your proof of purchase as this is also a requirement for warranty claims. Radmore and Tucker or Sam turner and sons are both excellent to deal with ( hope I’m not breaking any rules naming these companies)

There is a cheap DIY fix for this issue, will post a link when back at my desk. Hopefully it will apply to your particular saw.

It maybe worth searching for an original working model of your saw for sale on the usual sites , this could be used as a donor for other parts you may need . I personally only use stihl equipment chainsaws blowers and strimmers etc as the back up service from stihl is pretty good . However as a word of warning make sure your supplier registers your product with stihl as they won’t accept it from the buyer and therefore you can lose your warranty . A lot of online suppliers will not tell you this so you won’t find out until you make a claim. Also keep your proof of purchase as this is also a requirement for warranty claims. Radmore and Tucker or Sam turner and sons are both excellent to deal with ( hope I’m not breaking any rules naming these companies)
Thanks for that. I suspect a working 048 of the right vintage would either not exist(!) or be being offered for silly money. I've got the usual searches out, but if nothing turns up, will probably sell mine for parts (which might even give me a profit!) and get something newer that will do the job, then sell that, as I'm getting too old to wield a 24" blade!

Thanks for that. I suspect a working 048 of the right vintage would either not exist(!) or be being offered for silly money. I've got the usual searches out, but if nothing turns up, will probably sell mine for parts (which might even give me a profit!) and get something newer that will do the job, then sell that, as I'm getting too old to wield a 24" blade!
A 24 “ blade is an absolute beast , there is a hyhundi 20 inch going for around £150 on many of the usual sites decent reviews tbh and If you don’t intend to keep it you will get a good price upon reselling.

Most of the older AV series go for silly money as you say, too many collectors around.

Ref the ignition fix-

Background (long thread) - SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!
Fix- SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

I asked earlier if your module was SEM or Bosch, hope your's is Bosch and the 048 is covered.

Ages since I looked at this but hope it helps.

The 048 was in production from 1980-85
Lastly, try and use NGK plugs, have always found them better for the older models.

A 24 “ blade is an absolute beast , there is a hyhundi 20 inch going for around £150 on many of the usual sites decent reviews tbh and If you don’t intend to keep it you will get a good price upon reselling.

Bought one of those Hyundai saws to use in a chainsaw mill and have been very pleased. Thought I'd bought a dud at first as it would bog down in the cut but found the fuel pipe was twisted so the weight of the filter cut the fuel off when the saw was turned on it's side.

If you do buy one of those be aware the seller only gives a very short return period

Most of the older AV series go for silly money as you say, too many collectors around.
Ref the ignition fix-
Background (long thread) - SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!
Fix- SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!
I asked earlier if your module was SEM or Bosch, hope your's is Bosch and the 048 is covered.
Part of the problem is that I'm not sure which maker; suspect it's a very early SEM, as it doesn't look like anything I can find. It does bear a slight resemblance in general shape to the SEM that I THINK was fitted to 048s. Will work through the thread you linked to; even if it's not directly relevant, it might give enough clues for me to try a bodge!
There's an 028AV in our nearest town which won't start. Might just go and look at it with a spark tester! But that would take my count to three dodgy saws and three good 'uns!

Trouble is, I ain't got that size of glutes, and could probably give the operator 60 years!
It was just meant for a little light entertainment-hate to imagine the cost of it , the 2nd bloke to use it is clearly afraid of it - also the lack of ppe is horrendous but the young woman who doesn’t operate the saw is the only one wearing gloves If I remember it correctly. 🤔🤔🤔

Back