Anchracite Walls for a workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I am about to paint my workshop and I was thinking I would do it in anthracite (dark grey). A bit radical, it could be too dark and 'cave like', but I thought I might try it....

thoughts?

Here is an image I found that I think helps visualise it:
grey walls.jpg

A lot of my storage will be made out of plywood which is a light colour and that should pop quite well against the dark grey - I am hoping that means it wont all look too depressing. I could just paint it white and be done with it though.....
Also, I have really good downlighters in there, and a large french door and a window on front wall.

Here are some images of my workshop, just to give a feel, 4m x 3.5m:

unpainted workshop 2.jpg

unpainted workshop 3.jpg

unpainted workshop.jpg

I really cant be bothered painting this twice so if anybody has any thoughts good or bad I would love to hear them :)

thanks
Martin

I assume you mean to paint all four walls? Personally I’d keep it light as in low light situations it could end up a bit gloomy. As a prominent feature wall -hell yes , go for it but maybe a lighter shade of grey for the other 3 walls as I reckon that not much light will be reflected back towards your work area ,, just my opinion mind 🙂🙂

I agree, one wall anthracite and 3 in something like Dulux Soft Pebble. If you want a french cleat wall then varnished ply strips would look great against the dark grey background.

Just think about how the light absorbtion of the dark paint will make marking out more difficult. Best go for white or a pale colour

I agree, one wall anthracite and 3 in something like Dulux Soft Pebble. If you want a french cleat wall then varnished ply strips would look great against the dark grey background.

This made me chuckle, best post ever, we need a new section dedicated to workshop interior design 🤣🤣🤣

And funnily enough in my workshop I actually do have a grey feature wall with varnished Birch ply French cleats attached 😉

I reckon this is a winner. Looks like its called Polished Pebble:
2022-05-23 21_35_57-Polished Pebble - Cool Neutral - Find products in this colour _ Dulux.jpg

And to answer the original question I agree with Mike and would just have one wall in the dark colour, probably an end one so you still get the light coming through the windows bouncing off the back wall. My workshop is white and everyone comments how nice and bright it is but personally I would prefer it a grey colour (but not too dark).

I was working in a panelled room a few weeks ago which was painted a dark brown colour, looked stunning but even with all the lights on I still needed my head torch to see what I was doing, the walls just seemed to absorb all the light.

This made me chuckle, best post ever, we need a new section dedicated to workshop interior design 🤣🤣🤣

And funnily enough in my workshop I actually do have a grey feature wall with varnished Birch ply French cleats attached 😉
😅😅 I'm just doing my bit to add some contrast to all the useful and meaningful posts on here :)

pictures of the french cleat wall or it doesn't exist...

I'm now wondering if I should even bother with the anthracite at all, I like the idea, but is it worth buying a tin of paint for just just one wall... It would look cool with the french cleats though.

Either way, I'm not doing anthracite on all four walls, I've been talked out of that one, and I'm not doing white either after Doug's comment.

So its probably going to be pebble on three walls and batman on one.

Martin

😅😅 I'm just doing my bit to add some contrast to all the useful and meaningful posts on here :)

pictures of the french cleat wall or it doesn't exist...

Only have this one I'm afraid, and for those interested the the grey is RAL 7035 which is Festool grey, yes I am that sad!

Thinking maybe some LED strips around the edge :unsure:

French cleat.jpg

Only have this one I'm afraid, and for those interested the the grey is RAL 7035 which is Festool grey, yes I am that sad!

Thinking maybe some LED strips around the edge :unsure:

View attachment 136271
looks great, pimping it up with LED lights would be a good move I reckon
I need to think about my lighting - it will all have to come off sockets as I didn't plan for it any other way and electrical work is done now - kinda wish I had put in a circuit for LED lights as I hate visible wires.

thanks fore the pic

White and let the walls reflect the available light around causing a more even light. If, like me, you constantly change things around, pollyfilla won't show up on a white wall.

Could not think of anything worse than black !! As many have said a light colour is best, it reflects light. My choice would be light grey or buff
I recall being told that most industrial Machinery was painted either grey, blue or green with red on danger areas, the reasons being they are easy on the eye thus less tiring and when you think about it most of our world is blue, green or grey ! Sea, Sky, vegetation.

Paint it white. It will go grey or brown or black naturally over time.

You need light in a workshop.

Another vote for white,I've just painted my new shed white all round walls and ceiling inside and its so much better than my previous
shed which i just left as natural OSB and ply.Definitely a lot better for working in.

my double garage under the house was all grey when we moved in - concrete floor, concrete block walls and block and bison beam ceiling. I couldn’t wait to brighten it up. Floor went blue, walls yellow and white - whatever we had lying about and slowly it has gone all white which is great as despite a window and double doors it is artificially lit most of the time.
To be honest grey is the last colour I would be looking at🤣🤣🤣 although we do have it in the house 👍

Back