Anant planes, Any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadders75

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this may be a silly question but i've been looking at the No. 8 Jointer plane from Anant on the Dieter Schmid Fine tools website, i know that they are cheap as chips and im expecting to do a bit of fettling, but can they be made useable.

I've already got a replacement blade from my father in laws broken woody jointer so the blade will be binned as soon as i get it.

Or can any of you fine ladies and gentlemen point me in the direction of some plans or info on how to make your own wood planes, my brothers offered to make me a Stainless steel sole plate for a woody but im a little unsure on how to make the wooden bit. :oops:

Many thanks.

Richie.

A book well recommended by quite a few is "Making and Mastering Wood Planes by David Finck ISBN 1-4027-2022-X. Philly speaks highly of it.

I can't see any point in making a woody for use with a metal sole - I have seen it done but only occasionally and it has always seemed very misguided. A wooden sole is very easily flattened and repaired/reconditioned and has much less friction than a steel sole. There is a whole class of planes called transitionals where the metal plane "works" are used in a wooden body and this is much more sensible than the reverse.

cadders75":j6zik1js said:
I know this may be a silly question but i've been looking at the No. 8 Jointer plane from Anant on the Dieter Schmid Fine tools website, i know that they are cheap as chips and I'm expecting to do a bit of fettling, but can they be made useable?

Not really, no.

I've already got a replacement blade from my father in laws broken woody jointer so the blade will be binned as soon as i get it.

That blade will (likely) be good, and will (likely) not fit a Bailey plane.

BugBear

cadders75":45ous0c2 said:
I know this may be a silly question but i've been looking at the No. 8 Jointer plane from Anant on the Dieter Schmid Fine tools website, i know that they are cheap as chips and im expecting to do a bit of fettling, but can they be made useable.
Richie.
I bought an anant rabbet plane thinking the same way. The deal breaker for mine was that the blade would not sit flat without a lot of major grinding on my part. It also had a very crappy adjuster. I really don't think these planes are designed to work. All the important things are just wrong.

I would look on ebay. The stanley's at least work and can be tuned.

waterhead37":11njraoi said:
A book well recommended by quite a few is "Making and Mastering Wood Planes by David Finck ISBN 1-4027-2022-X. Philly speaks highly of it.

I can't see any point in making a woody for use with a metal sole - I have seen it done but only occasionally and it has always seemed very misguided. A wooden sole is very easily flattened and repaired/reconditioned and has much less friction than a steel sole. There is a whole class of planes called transitionals where the metal plane "works" are used in a wooden body and this is much more sensible than the reverse.

Ritchie, this is the book for you-a real treasure trove! It's relatively easy to make your own planes and this book helps you with all the difficult bits, as well as how to get the best use out of them.
Cheers
Philly :D

Thanks for the quick replys chaps, the cheap Anant planes have been crossed off the list and an order has been placed at Amazon for Mr Finks book.

In the mean time i've ordered a reground No. 7 from the Old Tool Store as i'll need something to square the wood up for my prototype Woodys.

I think that £70 for a reground plane from Ray Iles is infinitely better value than taking a punt on an Ebay special.

Thanks again for your advice.

Richie.

cadders75":1cxk5m5d said:
In the mean time i've ordered a reground No. 7 from the Old Tool Store as i'll need something to square the wood up for my prototype Woodys.

Richie.

(chuckle) Buying tools to make tools. A man after my own heart.

BugBear

cadders75 wrote:

Richie.

(chuckle) Buying tools to make tools. A man after my own heart.

BugBear

Well it stops me doing any real DIY in the house. :)

cadders75":17zw71rb said:
Well it stops me doing any real DIY in the house. :)

My extreme case of "meta-tool" buying so far is...

I wanted to make dovetails so I bought a saw vice...

BugBear

Latest posts

Back