An early Record 52 1/2 vice, finishing options.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s gone darker because you’ve not actually gone down to bare metal when removing the rust, you’ve only removed a thin layer…The darker parts are where there is still rust remaining.
if it’s staying in a dry atmosphere, a regular run over with a light oil will prevent it from rusting further. The problem with having an oil finish is that it will cause fine wood dust to stick to it…
Thanks John, that makes sense. For now I'll leave it as it is and see how it fairs.

Many thanks John. (y)

Everything is on hold at the moment as the shed (I must start calling it my workshop 😀) is part way through being wired up with power outlets and lighting, there 'stuff' scattered all over the place including the vice parts. I'll need to get some plywood ordered soon and once that's fitted I can hopefully get organised.

Attachments

• 20220819_150809.jpg
    20220819_150809.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
You’ll soon fill it…have fun..
BTW…the threaded holes for the jaws are 5/16” BSWhitworth, but UNC will also fit

Last edited:
The problem with a blo coating, is that it will act as a magnet for dust and wood powder,…I never use grease or thick oils on vices or chucks etc for that reason..
I periodically wipe over with 3 in one which acts as a lubricant and rust prevention
Boeshield T-9…is excellent for corrosion resistance in moist conditions…expensive but works well..
Paragon paints supply brushing enamels for all workshop machinery
Record vice blue…(Roundel Blue)…

Thanks for your replies folks.

I'm leaning more towards Phil's suggestion of using boiled linseed oil at the moment. Does it need to be heated up after applying, or can it be left to dry naturally? I'm not sure if it's a good idea to put cast iron in our cooker. :)

Would Danish oil do a similar job?
Japan black varnish (japanning) is baked and I has linseed oil as an ingredient. 1 or 2 hours at 400f - 450f cures the varnish.

I'd guess you could do the same w just blo, i.e. bake it for a bit.

Letting it dry under the sun is simpler and you don't risk marital discord if the smell of the blo lingers.

Blo once dried and oxidised provides quite a durable finish and won't attract dust threads I'd use graphite

Back