An alternative(ish) to painters pyramids

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick tip (no pun intended). Been using these for a while but thought others might want to try making them too. Very simple, just some glue gun glue sticks cut to length, tip cut with a knife, and an appropriate sized hole drilled into scrap, and hey presto some grippy non-marking painters pyramids

f2b7bf385e99e718e402b73cfbf04e22.jpg

That's smart. And (essentially) free. What's not to like?
Thanks for sharing. Saved to the idea bank.

surely those will mark more than a sharp point as they're squishy and not very pointy?

..assuming it's a wet finish that will smudge

Just out of interest why hot glue sticks rather than lengths of dowel, or was it just what was to hand?

I hope Phil p sees the thread- I am sure on last count he had about 3000 sticks left of his bulk buy. :)

transatlantic":9mfohta4 said:
surely those will mark more than a sharp point as they're squishy and not very pointy?

..assuming it's a wet finish that will smudge
I don’t use it on a wet finish, so no smudging. The point does squish a bit, but that also give it some grip. And the flexible ness means if for example you’re wiping a finish then rather than the underside sliding or digging in (if sharp) there’s some flexibleness.

TheUnicorn":9mfohta4 said:
Just out of interest why hot glue sticks rather than lengths of dowel, or was it just what was to hand?
It’s what I had to hand, but for the reasons above I quite like using them

Sawdust=manglitter":2i8rgirs said:
]
I don’t use it on a wet finish, so no smudging.

But the whole point of a pyramid is to allow you to finish both sides of a piece in one go hence my first post as a sharp point prevents any movement which will smudge the finish & leaves a pin prick that is virtually unnoticeable.
As a support for a piece with a dry finish your glue stick would work fine but that’s not what a painters pyramid is for.

If using on a dry surface, I would have thought that bench cookies / pucks would offer more support

Brad nails shot through thin scraps of ply make good temporary supports, though after standing on one recently, a nice soft glue stick sounds much kinder on flesh and bone :)

Alright its V1. That's ok. Early stage
What about small diameter wooden dowels sharpened with..

Ah god no. Foiled again. If only there was already a cheap and easy way to sharpen small wooden pencil shaped dowels to a fine point that wasn't quite metal pin sharp but really really close. Ideal for resting finished wood on without making holes OR smearing.

If there was I'd probably install one in the side of my bench because 1. If it existed and I already owned such a bit of kit I'd probably put it down and lose it all the time. I might even make a daft thread about it. If only one existed already.
2. We all have to make an effort to smash open the doors of possibility not just casually accepting the accepted norm.

:-"

That's a great idea. My work surface is not always clear and I worry something will dent the surface. Plus I can safely use them around the house without fear of someone else injuring themselves.

PS, I for one appreciate the effort of sharing some tips/ideas, so thank you

I use a few plastic tripod things you get in a takeaway pizza box as a stand for drying.

Back