American Type Clamp heads at Axmin.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Black-enamelled American type clamp heads, for use with 3/4" bore conduit/pipe.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... prod32094/

I think I am right in believing that Axminster mean that the pipe is Bored to 3/4".
On the other hand they could mean that the clamp-heads are bored to take 3/4" outside-diameter pipe. (If there's any such thing.)

I have yards of Galvanized pipe which is 20mm outside diameter. I need to find a use for it other than making coat-rails for wardrobes.

Would anyone know if these clamp-heads would fit the pipe I have? (I kinda doubt it, but I don't want to buy the clamp-heads on spec!)

Cheers in anticipation :D

They are made to fit 3/4 bore pipe and threaded 3/4BSP which is approx 1 1/16" OD.

Theis is often termed "Barrel" or Gass Barrle at your local plumbers merchants

Teh pipe you have is far to thin a wall sounds like 20mm electrical conduit

J

Jason,
Yes it is 20mm OUTSIDE diameter electrical conduit.

I was cutting some this morning for a little project. I used a plumber's/gas-fitter's pipe cutter, and it took some effort to get through the wall of the tube, which must be close to 3/32". The cutter did the job, so I was happy, being absolute rubbish at hack-sawing circular sections!!! But I think the cutter protested a bit!

Thanks Jason. I won't bother with the pipe clamps then. I'll get some flat mild steel bar, drill the heads off my Record sash cramps, and use them with differing lengths of the mild-steel bar. (I need some shorter sash cramps you see.)

Thanks again :)

John, FWIW the pipe we use over here for the clamps is typically black cast iron although we can get galvanized iron pipe as well. It is typical in gas installations and fairly inexpensive. If you don't have success finding the pipe you need, perhaps I can help although the shipping would probab;y be prohibitive.

Many Thanks for the kind offer Dave.

I probably can get supplies over here. A lot will depend on how many people I can find who remember me from the days when I worked in the Jewellery Quarter of Birmingham! One could get anything in that place. From an elephant to a pin! (Plastic elephants at least!) If I can't find some pipe at an economical price, I shall probably build up a collection of mild steel bar in different lengths. Then I'll just move around the heads of my Record Clamps to suit!

As for the tube I have.. I could build a model of the Eiffel Tower I suppose! :mrgreen:

Thanks again for the kind offer. It's appreciated. :D

Not sure, but I believe Axminster sell suitable pipe as well...might be worth a quick peek in the book - Rob

Thanks Rob.

At the moment they are running low on supplies I think. I want enough to have at least 4 clamps each of 2, 3, and 4 feet lengths.
I have a good selection of 6' cramps, but they are all unwieldy.

I have built up my overall collection a little, with some shorter Besseys, but they are ridiculously expensive, and I can't see myself going over to those exclusively! As I said, I will probably be best off making some more bars for my Record sash cramps. Plenty of nearby Mild Steel Bar suppliers at reasonable prices.

Thanks for the suggestion. :D

Axminster describe the pipe as 3/4" bore. To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing. Pipe is either sold as outside diameter or nominal bore. 3/4" nominal bore pipe always has an outside diameter of 1.05" or 27 mm, the wall thickness changing depending on the schedule of the pipe.

Dave R":1c2cssa4 said:
John, FWIW the pipe we use over here for the clamps is typically black cast iron

I would think that it is unlikely that the USA uses cast iron pipe which would be brittle. It is possibly cast steel.

The stuff I have looks to be drawn (If the lines along its length are anything to go by.) Definitely 20mm outside diameter! And not an easy task for the pipe cutting tool! :D

ww, you are correct. I should have said cast steel. In the US it is still often referred to as "black iron pie."

John, best of luck. One thing I would suggest when you buy the pipe is to get couplers, too. Then you can put pieces together when needed to make longer pipes

Dave its also often called iron pipe here as well, fittings are malable iron so the pipe tends to get called iron as well.

As I said any half decent plumbers merchants will have it.

Avoid the pipe AXI sell as its plated and the clamps don't grip so well, stick with the black painted stuff.

You will also want a hefty ratchet die stock and suitable 3/4" BSP die as well as a sturdy vice to hold the pipe while you thread it. When bought it comes in 3.0m lengths which are thrteaded at the ends so any cuts will need re threading, you do generally get a straight connector supplied with each length of pipe.

J

Thanks again Jason.

If I do decide to buy pipe, then I'm all set. I have collected lots of stuff over the years. Would you know it? I have a die and stock in a dusty corner as well as a pipe-vice, which I accepted as a gift off an old electrician.

I thought at the time... 'It might come in handy!'

So if I go the pipe clamp route I am all set up, although it's been a few years, and then some, since I threaded conduit; if fact they were using tallow as a lubricant in those days! :D

jasonB":2h340v23 said:
You will also want a hefty ratchet die stock and suitable 3/4" BSP die

Not if his pipe is 20mm O.D. conduit. He will need a Pg 13.5 die and conduit connectors.
http://www.ring-plug-thread-gages.com/t ... hreads.htm

Alternatively, as 1/2" nominal bore pipe has an O.D of 21mm, he might just get away with a 1/2" B.S.P thread and matching sockets to connect lengths.

3/4" B.S.P dies will only work on a 3/4" nominal bore pipe.

My plumber got me a few lengths and cut them down to convenient sizes and threaded them for me.
With the couplers you can make up any lengths :)
Pretty cheap too?

Rod

whiskywill":2pfda6p6 said:
jasonB":2pfda6p6 said:
You will also want a hefty ratchet die stock and suitable 3/4" BSP die

Not if his pipe is 20mm O.D. conduit. He will need a Pg 13.5 die and conduit connectors.
http://www.ring-plug-thread-gages.com/t ... hreads.htm

Alternatively, as 1/2" nominal bore pipe has an O.D of 21mm, he might just get away with a 1/2" B.S.P thread and matching sockets to connect lengths.

3/4" B.S.P dies will only work on a 3/4" nominal bore pipe.

But the original question was would his 20mm conduit fit the pipeheads and it won't so he needs 3/4 barrel which is threaded 3/4BSP

He won't get away with 1/2" nominal as it will almost pass straight through the clampheads though he could go to the US and buy the smaller #52 "Pony" clamps which fit 1/2" barrel though they do flex quite a bit

Back