American Black Walnut Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humanfish

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the last few days i have been working on this box, it my first utilising solid wood as opposed to veneered MDF. It is made of some offcuts of A B walnut with a veneered burr top and veneered bottom.
I finished it with some linseed oil and used some beeswax as well. I am going to give it a few more coats. It's simple in construction but i quite like the way it looks.
I have some oak and a oak burr lying around so i think i might make another one. That will be two cheap presents taken care of.

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

Looks fabulous. I like that a lot, and I have a few chunks of walnut lying around! Hmm...... :-k

Adam

i am pleased with it, its simplicity in particular. i like the chamfer on top.

At the moment it is a very matt finish even after a few coats of beeswax, especially on the burr top. is this because it is absorbing the wax. i havent used just linseed oil and wax before, i have only finished using sanding sealer and polish at college.
i guess i will have to keep building up the wax coats to create more of a shiny finish. having said this i quite like the 'matt' effect.

ooo I like that burl! Well done looks smashing 8)

Very nice - I like it a lot.

Just a point on wax as a finish. You can't really speak of a number of coats with wax if you polish it as every additional application of wax simply dissolves off some of the previous lot and comes off on the cloth. The thickness of wax applied to a flat surface stays about the same no matter how many times you wax it. Of course the stuff can and does build up in the corners.

It is hard work to get a wax finish shiny and it can only be done with hard waxes - beeswax is a reasonably hard wax but will need buffing you can do this by hand or with a powered device. Better than beeswax is a wax made by adding say 30% Carnauba wax to beeswax - best done by melting the two in a tin can. However this is difficult to apply and even more difficult to polish out.

When doing a similar job in future, I suggest you polish the top before assembling the lid or box as it is easier to deal with a flat uninterrupted surface. Also after applying the oil and when it is fully dry, apply a few coats of shellac which can then be cut back with 0000 wire wool before waxing. This will provide a nice sheen and a great feel.

Back