Amazon postage charges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Just noticed that the default setting seems to have changed from Free to First Class. If books are in stock then it might be worthwhile paying the extra if you're desperate for the book but....

I just ordered Solid Wood Cabinet Construction' by Franz Karg having read Neil's recommendation.

The scheduled delivery date is several weeks away but they defaulted to First Class at over £4! IMHO a few extra days is neither here nor there and so I rechecked the Free option.

Roger - I assume your ordering via Amazon UK - Just out of interest did you find the cost less than going via Anazon US?? - I have found that even after allowing for the Amazon US postal charge of 8 dollars something it's often better to buy from the US site.

Roger Sinden":37p1dkaq said:
I just ordered Solid Wood Cabinet Construction' by Franz Karg having read Neil's recommendation.
Yikes! I hope you like it Roger - otherwise I'm in trouble!

I found it inspirational (apart from the shag-pile rugs :lol:) but I should just mention that it doesn't really give much indication of how to make the pieces - just a few (black & white) photos of each one, plus an engineering drawing of some particularly interesting aspect of the design.

Let me know what you think of it :)

Neil

Hi Losos

Yes, you're right. Amazon UK. Never thought to order from the US. Did a comparison on Scott landis's book and the saving would be only £1.20 and a three/four week delivery.

Think I'll stick to UK!

Roger

Roger - Yes, the delivery time is 3 to 4 weeks, but for me it's about the same whether I order from UK or USA. I was told that the price difference is really quite significant when ordering non book items from Amazon 'tho I've never done that yet.

Hi Roger - Well, with the dreaded Duty & VAT I have found that anything small(ish) gets through OK - but you're right of course, now CZ is in the EU the Duty will be applied according to local rate & VAT is 19% here for most things so that would kill it for non book items.

Phew, Roger - I'm relieved! I wish I could find more books like it... it really is an inspiration

Neil

Back