Amazon Echo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RobinBHM":2fcsj0gz said:
I know nothing about the amazon thingie, however I have heard DAB radio reception is so poor in some areas its not worth having.

My son bought me a DAB radio about 6 years ago. I still can't get a signal.

DiscoStu":1n5gd6dy said:
Ooh a "mood to smooch by" that sounds like a new mood I need to programme.

I'm not concerned about DDoS attacks. I've had my lighting system for about 5 years and not had a single incident where someone has taken control over the internet (except for me). I honestly think hackers have better things to do and the system work even without the Internet so I'm not too concerned.

It's good to be security aware but I honestly think home users have little to fear. You're biggest concern should be who holds your credit card details and even that is protected by the banks. It's a pain if you do suffer from theft and ID theft in particular but it can all be dealt with. Hackers really aren't interested in turning my lights on and off or changing the temperature of my thermostat. If they can break through firewalls then there are far more interesting things that they can do and look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry but you have missed the point entirely. Hackers are not interested in you. They ARE interested in taking all your bug-ridden and poorly secured Internet of Things and forming a botnet that they can then use to attack the sites that they are really interested in. We've already talked about it here. post1096796.html?hilit=internet%20death#p1096796

It's not wishful thinking. It's happening all the time and the more of these bloody pointless 'smart' devices get out there the worse it will get.

And eventually they probably will find a way to use a vulnerability in one of these IoT devices to get into your own computer via the backdoor and bypass any AV stuff you might have installed. Unless you've implemented a two-router approach which should make it that bit more difficult.

whiskywill":3oag3u6j said:
RobinBHM":3oag3u6j said:
I know nothing about the amazon thingie, however I have heard DAB radio reception is so poor in some areas its not worth having.

My son bought me a DAB radio about 6 years ago. I still can't get a signal.
Depends so much where you are and the local terrain. I'm lucky I get full signal strength on a heap of channels and perfect audio.

RogerS":30dkz8tp said:
DiscoStu":30dkz8tp said:

I'm not concerned about DDoS attacks. I've had my lighting system for about 5 years and not had a single incident where someone has taken control over the internet (except for me). I honestly think hackers have better things to do and the system work even without the Internet so I'm not too concerned.

It's good to be security aware but I honestly think home users have little to fear. You're biggest concern should be who holds your credit card details and even that is protected by the banks. It's a pain if you do suffer from theft and ID theft in particular but it can all be dealt with. Hackers really aren't interested in turning my lights on and off or changing the temperature of my thermostat. If they can break through firewalls then there are far more interesting things that they can do and look at.

Sorry but you have missed the point entirely. Hackers are not interested in you. They ARE interested in taking all your bug-ridden and poorly secured Internet of Things and forming a botnet that they can then use to attack the sites that they are really interested in. We've already talked about it here. post1096796.html?hilit=internet%20death#p1096796

It's not wishful thinking. It's happening all the time and the more of these bloody pointless 'smart' devices get out there the worse it will get.

And eventually they probably will find a way to use a vulnerability in one of these IoT devices to get into your own computer via the backdoor and bypass any AV stuff you might have installed. Unless you've implemented a two-router approach which should make it that bit more difficult.

They have to get to the smart devices before they can upload anything to them. I'm also not too sure my lights can output anything as one of the frustrations I have with it, is that I cannot see what state the lights are in. Sure the box that controls them will no doubt run some form of unix but you've still got to get to it and I'm pretty comfortable with my firewall and obviously I haven't used default passwords etc.

I'm sure most attacks for denial of service come from windows PC's and servers.

DiscoStu":2rtz320u said:
RogerS":2rtz320u said:
DiscoStu":2rtz320u said:

They have to get to the smart devices before they can upload anything to them. I'm also not too sure my lights can output anything as one of the frustrations I have with it, is that I cannot see what state the lights are in. Sure the box that controls them will no doubt run some form of unix but you've still got to get to it and I'm pretty comfortable with my firewall and obviously I haven't used default passwords etc.

I'm sure most attacks for denial of service come from windows PC's and servers.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I give up. So basically what you are saying is that all the security experts out there are cretins. Did you even bother to read any of the links I gave, FFS ?

llangatwgnedd":mz944tj0 said:
I have a NAS drive, will the Amazon thing play my music from that source?
Only if your NAS has Bluetooth, or can take e.g. a USB Bluetooth adapter. Otherwise, if you want to play your own music then you have to upload it to your Amazon Music Library (250k track limit).

HTH Pete

Back