Amazing Pendulum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, patterns from simple physical oscillators. A simple demonstration of the length/period relationship of pendula, too. An excellent lead-in for teaching some physics...... and not a silicon chip in sight.

Reminds me of a an event in a pub I used to visit, where a chap used to bash out the drinking songs on an old piano. One day he had the lid open and a student peered in amazed. The student called his mates over 'Look' he said 'you can see bits moving in here!'.

I wonder how accurately the lengths of the pendulae/penduli/pendulums (sp?) need to be stepped to get a dynamic pattern like that. It is certainly very tempting to have a go at making something like that. I have seen something simillar before, though whether a video online or a demonstration on TV Im not sure.
Nice link.

Cheers,
Adam

Hi,

If you watch two different cars indicators they will flash in time with each other then slowly go to where they are flashing alternately then back to being in sync.

Pete

Kalimna":ome8jh6a said:
I wonder how accurately the lengths of the pendulae/penduli/pendulums (sp?) need to be stepped to get a dynamic pattern like that.

I expect you'll probably find that the accuracy of the length steps affects how long they continue to look attractive versus random, rather than whether you get the pattern in the first place. The cruder the stepping the quicker the balls will stop looking like they're in a line.

(And I expect there lies the reason that the video is only so long...! ;-))

Roy, that is brilliant.

RE how long the strings should be....simple physics formulae will calculate the appropriate lengths. Then feed the result into a simple harmonic oscillation criterium equation. Lastly apply Foucault's Pendulum. Easy :-"

Kalimna":1pd5x44x said:
I wonder how accurately the lengths of the pendulae/penduli/pendulums (sp?) need to be stepped to get a dynamic pattern like that. It is certainly very tempting to have a go at making something like that. I have seen something simillar before, though whether a video online or a demonstration on TV Im not sure.
Nice link.

Cheers,
Adam

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that if the line of balls looks straight then that is good enough. It would probably work (but differently) if the balls formed a smooth curve. Maybe one end of the string to each ball could be fixed, and the other left adjustable. You would need the string to move through the loop on the top of the ball. I am not sure how the adjusters would work - M6 bolt and string attached to nut? Someone cleverer than me can think of better, I am sure......

Anyway, that might make the toy more flexible for added enjoyment.

Back