Am I the only person depressed by the number of comments with gender or racial stereotypes in them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry. I've re read it twice, and I still don't get it.
No problem, perhaps I've phrased it badly?
You wrote: 'If people.sincerely take offence when it's not directed at them, then yes, that's wrong';
I wrote: 'I disagree, tho 'taking offence' may be the wrong words. If we see a wrong being visited on someone else, are we supposed to turn a blind eye, or are we right to take an interest and speak/ act accordingly? It's a pretty grim view of our society if the former's the case, I'd think.'
So I'm saying it's not wrong to 'take office' when we recognise someone is being offensive to someone else/ another group etc.

the less politically correct and offensive, the more I like it, we are being controlled by 'woke' people, it really annoys me how easily people are offended thesedays, it's also getting worse and making me be more offensive deliberately with jokes especially. 😂
I agree. If you don’t like it, don’t read it. The old nursery rhyme “sticks and stones...” is of relevance here. Develop some resilience and get on with life.

Jacob Jacob Jacob

Over the last few years I recall many posts from yourself that showed zero consideration for other peoples feelings.

I know that I have also contributed my share of suchlike posts but when it has become apparent that I have hurt peoples feelings I have usually ended up apologising (not on every post but the majority) and not wait for a ban like some do.

The consideration bat works both ways, people constantly ramming "WOKE" agendas down my throat IS something I find highly offensive yet those who endorse them deem it as being OK to do. It really is not OK to do but the "WOKE" brigade are not one bit concerned that they are being all righteous condescending racist bigots.

I take offence at people who try to belittle our wonderful nation, I think it is hurtful when people try to rewrite the history of this fantastic country, I abhor racism of any kind yet find that due to "WOKISM" I have to listen daily to the so called white privilege in this country. I have the EXACT same entitlements in this FREE country of ours that any other legal person has be they white green purple black brown or yellow and it is for that very reason I feel highly offended when the "WOKE" brigade start demanding that I apologise for things that happened hundreds of years ago.

The "WOKISM" is fuelling racism by their actions it may not be intentional but does not mean it is not happening, who will they blame when the powder keg finally blows up?. Hopefully Jacob you are right and people do actually start to wake up and see the harm that is being done with the stupid demands. Just look at all of the so called sexes There are many different gender identities, including male, female, transgender, gender neutral, non-binary, agender, pangender, genderqueer, two-spirit, third gender, and all, none or a combination of these, I would hate to be the registrar filling out the birth certificate.

"WOKISM" does not end there they want to insult, offend and hurt me more as they do not want me to call my children son or daughter, they want the words male, female removed from existence as well as boy & girl, sadly it is a slippery slope and we are right at the top of it. Not once have I been asked what my views are instead the "WOKE" brigade can tell me that my views do not matter as they would be wrong, in fact they do not tell me I am wrong they shout that I am wrong, then they shout some more and smash up a few things whilst still shouting at me I am wrong, I feel hurt by that as it insults my intelligence and it will also be insulting the intelligence of the majority of people in this amazing nation we all live in and if someone brings it up we then get accused of being insensitive and not taking others into account that may be hurt.

I am not going to say any more on this thread as I have covered the points I wanted to, it is each to there own and peoples views differ, the above are my views and as such Jacob I am totally sure you will not try and ram over and over again your opposing views down my throat especially now that you are aware that I do feel hurt, offended and insulted by anything "WOKE"
Hear, hear!

I agree. If you don’t like it, don’t read it. The old nursery rhyme “sticks and stones...” is of relevance here. Develop some resilience and get on with life.
Turn a blind eye. Easy.
Words constitute a large part of our consciousness; our consciousness plays a large part in our actions. Sticks and stones etc often follow words and names.
Still, easier to not think about it if it doesn't directly affect you.

No problem, perhaps I've phrased it badly?
You wrote: 'If people.sincerely take offence when it's not directed at them, then yes, that's wrong';
I wrote: 'I disagree, tho 'taking offence' may be the wrong words. If we see a wrong being visited on someone else, are we supposed to turn a blind eye, or are we right to take an interest and speak/ act accordingly? It's a pretty grim view of our society if the former's the case, I'd think.'
So I'm saying it's not wrong to 'take office' when we recognise someone is being offensive to someone else/ another group etc.
Ok. I think the problem lies with our respective interpretations of the post I was commenting on.
I was thinking along the lines of taking offence when none was intended, you were, probably more accurately, reading it as taking offence on behalf of a third party.

It's just a bit of harmless slang, like "trendy" or "far out".

Yeh back in the 50's and 60's they were really "groovey" grandad....................... 🤣 🤣

Edit: just come back to this, an honest question, I know Jacob's age, I know he's cantacarous, however he has spirit and gives as good as he gets, I suspect he is a grandad....................... is calling him grandad offencive?
I really hope the answers NO, if it's a majority saying yes then I'm doomed and off to hell, if I am on my way I shall have a good crack on the way there,

Last edited:
Yeh back in the 50's and 60's they were really "groovey" grandad....................... 🤣 🤣

Edit: just come back to this, an honest question, I know Jacob's age, I know he's cantacarous, however he has spirit and gives as good as he gets, I suspect he is a grandad....................... is calling him grandad offencive?
I really hope the answers NO, if it's a majority saying yes then I'm doomed and off to hell, if I am on my way I shall have a good crack on the way there,

He may think kids are a capitalist plot to keep disadvantaged workers working for the man.

The only thing I am intolerant of is intolerance!

Over the decades what is acceptable has changed markedly - language and behaviours. A search for banned or inappropriate words and phrases was difficult - whilst guidance and rules are obviously applied by the media, it seems no site dare publish them.

The BBC has some editorial guidelines - several pages in fact - full of worthy ideas but no list of what is acceptable or banned.

So we are left somewhat in the dark as to what is currently acceptable. I have no desire to deliberately or inadvertently cause distress or offence.

Shrill anger from the Woke brigade to a minor breach possibly exceeds offence given by the language or behaviour to which they object. Woke is inherently intolerant.

Never mind - most things come full circle. It won't be long until society recognises and supports a pressure group formed to promote the needs of the beer swilling, car loving, free thinking, woodworking, mature male community.

The only thing I am intolerant of is intolerance!

.............. Woke is inherently intolerant..
You can't have both ways! What you are saying is that the only things you are intolerant of is intolerance AND the woke concept i.e. being "alert to injustice in society, especially racism", as it is described/defined.

There's a neat summary here of how "woke" has been "weaponised" i.e. given a very different alternative meaning, which explains much talking at such cross purposes on threads like this one.
https://www.theguardian.com/society...how-the-word-woke-was-weaponised-by-the-right

Last edited:
Jacob Jacob Jacob

Over the last few years I recall many posts from yourself that showed zero consideration for other peoples feelings.

I know that I have also contributed my share of suchlike posts but when it has become apparent that I have hurt peoples feelings I have usually ended up apologising (not on every post but the majority) and not wait for a ban like some do.

The consideration bat works both ways, people constantly ramming "WOKE" agendas down my throat IS something I find highly offensive yet those who endorse them deem it as being OK to do. It really is not OK to do but the "WOKE" brigade are not one bit concerned that they are being all righteous condescending racist bigots.

I take offence at people who try to belittle our wonderful nation, I think it is hurtful when people try to rewrite the history of this fantastic country, I abhor racism of any kind yet find that due to "WOKISM" I have to listen daily to the so called white privilege in this country. I have the EXACT same entitlements in this FREE country of ours that any other legal person has be they white green purple black brown or yellow and it is for that very reason I feel highly offended when the "WOKE" brigade start demanding that I apologise for things that happened hundreds of years ago.

The "WOKISM" is fuelling racism by their actions it may not be intentional but does not mean it is not happening, who will they blame when the powder keg finally blows up?. Hopefully Jacob you are right and people do actually start to wake up and see the harm that is being done with the stupid demands. Just look at all of the so called sexes There are many different gender identities, including male, female, transgender, gender neutral, non-binary, agender, pangender, genderqueer, two-spirit, third gender, and all, none or a combination of these, I would hate to be the registrar filling out the birth certificate.

"WOKISM" does not end there they want to insult, offend and hurt me more as they do not want me to call my children son or daughter, they want the words male, female removed from existence as well as boy & girl, sadly it is a slippery slope and we are right at the top of it. Not once have I been asked what my views are instead the "WOKE" brigade can tell me that my views do not matter as they would be wrong, in fact they do not tell me I am wrong they shout that I am wrong, then they shout some more and smash up a few things whilst still shouting at me I am wrong, I feel hurt by that as it insults my intelligence and it will also be insulting the intelligence of the majority of people in this amazing nation we all live in and if someone brings it up we then get accused of being insensitive and not taking others into account that may be hurt.

I am not going to say any more on this thread as I have covered the points I wanted to, it is each to there own and peoples views differ, the above are my views and as such Jacob I am totally sure you will not try and ram over and over again your opposing views down my throat especially now that you are aware that I do feel hurt, offended and insulted by anything "WOKE"
Brilliant. I couldn't have put it better myself. I try not to offend people and, in general, have no sympathy for people who do. However, I think the 'woke' section of society have had too much of a voice for far too long. Political correctness in oppressive and will permit only one type of thought, action or opinion (i.e. theirs) and anyone who dares to disagree (however well-founded their beliefs) is automatically branded as being 'racist', 'sexist' or god-knows-what-else-ist. Unfortunately, the BBC seems to have climbed on that bandwagon. Hopefully, one day, the woke enthusiasts will be put in their place and made to realise that they, and their attitudes, are at least as bad as those they purport to be protesting against.

Brilliant. I couldn't have put it better myself. I try not to offend people and, in general, have no sympathy for people who do. However, I think the 'woke' section of society have had too much of a voice for far too long. Political correctness in oppressive and will permit only one type of thought, action or opinion (i.e. theirs) and anyone who dares to disagree (however well-founded their beliefs) is automatically branded as being 'racist', 'sexist' or god-knows-what-else-ist. Unfortunately, the BBC seems to have climbed on that bandwagon. Hopefully, one day, the woke enthusiasts will be put in their place and made to realise that they, and their attitudes, are at least as bad as those they purport to be protesting against.
Just a final attempt to come back to the original point... There are forum members posting old fashioned racist and sexist jokes and comments. I'm not talking about people wanting to refer to tradesmen as tradespeople or insisting on herstory instead of history. The mods do a very good job at removing the posts so a lot of people won't have seen them, but they continue to come back. I see several posts every week.

I guess I have a question - the humorous posts about spouses nagging and stuff, is that off limits now, too? Was it on here that I saw the one (sorry, there are joke threads all over forums) about archaeologists being ladies because they can bring up stuff from the past at will?

I find things like that humorous, because I observed it as my mothers go-to with my dad. if she picked a fight with him, and it made no sense, she could seamlessly go to anything in the last 20 years that had nothing to do with the conversation and get him to give up. (my wife doesn't do it, except with inaccuracy - like "you never had this foul mouth before we were married".

Actually, I did - and she did, too. She actually tries to build up the past me as being better than I was to make me feel like I need to make the current me match the past one.

That was a serious question, by the way, is that now out of bounds, too?

That was a serious question, by the way, is that now out of bounds, too?
Depends on context I'd imagine. If I said something along those lines to my daughter she'd almost certainly ignore me, maybe roll her eyes; if you said it to her, she'd probably tell you to f off.
eta - when I say 'you', I don't mean you personally DW, I mean anyone else more or less.

Last edited:
Depends on context I'd imagine. If I said something along those lines to my daughter she'd almost certainly ignore me, maybe roll her eyes; if you said it to her, she'd probably tell you to f off.

I may be the exception here, but I wouldn't tell a lady a joke about dredging up the past unless I knew she did it. Like, I'd do it to my mom, but it wouldn't be a gender generalization joke, it would be "hey mom, that's you!".

I guess I have a question - the humorous posts about spouses nagging and stuff, is that off limits now, too? Was it on here that I saw the one (sorry, there are joke threads all over forums) about archaeologists being ladies because they can bring up stuff from the past at will?

I find things like that humorous, because I observed it as my mothers go-to with my dad. if she picked a fight with him, and it made no sense, she could seamlessly go to anything in the last 20 years that had nothing to do with the conversation and get him to give up. (my wife doesn't do it, except with inaccuracy - like "you never had this foul mouth before we were married".

Actually, I did - and she did, too. She actually tries to build up the past me as being better than I was to make me feel like I need to make the current me match the past one.

I think you have to go back and read the posts from the 2 women who posted in this thread (and interestingly had chosen to post very little before). One of them said that the jokes didn't bother her but the banter about "the missus" did. My experience is that women find the jokes pretty dull and contribute to a locker room atmosphere that makes them feel excluded. I guess if people are happy for them to feel diminished and excluded, they should use whatever language you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back