Am I the only person depressed by the number of comments with gender or racial stereotypes in them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few miles from where I grew up in the 1950/60s there was a main road where the council had very helpfully put up signs to alert drivers. The sign changed every few years as perceptions of the different terms changed (apologies if the words actually offend):

- cripples crossing
- handicapped crossing
- elderly crossing
- disabled crossing

I may have missed a couple of iterations.
You may have missed a couple of iterations but you've probably added one; "cripples crossing". I'd be very surprised if that was ever used.
I doubt the other terms would offend anybody, if they were relevant to the crossing users.
The signs are now no longer there having been replaced by traffic lights using illuminated "cross" and "don't cross" symbology.
I am distressed that these appear to be male symbols - the stick humans are wearing trousers (or naked). They certainly don't wear skirts or use wheel chairs.
On reflection I realise I shold raise this with the roads department and organise a demo to protest at blatant sexism and a failure to recognise wheel chair users as part of society.
I'm quite sure there would also be a racial or ethnic issues attached to the blatant abuse of minorities were it not for the fact that the authorities have chosen red and green for the imagery!
I think you are exaggerating your distress!

Last edited:
Thank you for bringing this up Droogs- sounds a good idea. I would love to share experience of woodcarving ( my one evening off from two small children and running a business - busy, busy, I'm at a local woodcarving club helping new members). I don't get much time to come on here and dip in and out occasionally as I find topics of interest. I will try find the time to share stuff or start a woodcarving thread.
Looking forward to that!

Reactions: dzj
I must admit carving, especially in the round rather than letters, is very much a dark art around the forum as it is something that doesn't get a lot of attention really . Which is a shame as I would love to get some ideas on a notion of how to create carvings for some of the things I would like to make; to supplement my marquetry and inlay. Having an idea of hot to carve something would open up the design possibilities for a lot of us me thinks

tony blair today
"I am afraid I am of an age where I am now terrified if I can talk about any of these subjects that I am going to say something that I should not say. It is a minefield on virtually everything. If you are of a certain generation, you are not sure what you can or what you can't say. Or whether you can make a joke about something you cannot make a joke, so I will leave it at that"

I must admit carving, especially in the round rather than letters, is very much a dark art around the forum as it is something that doesn't get a lot of attention really . Which is a shame as I would love to get some ideas on a notion of how to create carvings for some of the things I would like to make; to supplement my marquetry and inlay. Having an idea of hot to carve something would open up the design possibilities for a lot of us me thinks

The interesting thing about carving is that it's a lot like guitar making (and getting a guitar to sound really good, specifically, not just making one that looks good). I remember a guy who carved some rosewood furniture in an apartment closet over a matter of years. It was spectacular, and his response was that he learned in the closet or at the bench, because that's the only way to carve.

My friend George is a good carver, but not a trade carver (a trade carver probably works faster than he does). He talks about results and design issues in the carvings, but you have to ask a specific question before he talks methods. He is also a savant at drawing and proportion, being able to freehand broad curves in proportion to make drawings to carve. I think that's step one - if you want to carve, you'll just have to carve, but learning to draw or learning proportion to find good drawings (some people will never draw well - I probably won't, either. George spent his childhood tracing books with line drawings of ships which probably has a lot to do with his neural development).

Who is this goerge I speak of?

I don't know who taught him to carve - i'm not sure anyone did directly. He quickly got to the point that he would make the tools that he needed to do certain carvings like the lute rose at the top of this picture.
http://www.cybozone.com/fg/wilson1.html#wilson6
If you can get him to talk at length about anything, though, it's proportion and trying to get certain results or standards.

Here's a joke I heard from George that he got grief for saying at CW - when he'd finish a violin and CW guests were there, he would say "Look - it's brand new and baroque already!".

Look like to me that the chap who started this thread doesnt seem to realise that its a joke its Not called a maliciouse intent to offend its a JOKE are we to be bored to death everywhere we go by Woke morons? Such idiotsseem to be everywhere dont they understand that Really the majority of the human race cant be bothered with them. Blah Blah Blah

Not just women though is it, suspect same happens with male nurses, male childminders. It's not the gender that's the problem it's the job is usually associated with a gender.
A man going to a knitting festival, a man crocheting, a man collecting "my little ponies", a man decorating his bedroom with rainbow unicorns, I could go on we are oppressed, I can't really do any of this without wierd looks, I just battle on......................

It's a bit like when I took my son to playgroup when he was small. It was decidedly odd being the only man in there with about 30 mums and 50 odd kids. ( also the only one paying the slightest attention to my child it seemed).

Ollie

After retirement I realised why I found work increasingly tedious - the job may be fun and rewarding, the office environment was stultifying.

Almost every area of conversation slowly disappeared from social interaction - politics, religion, economy, sex, etc - for fear that someone may be upset or offended.

End result - the only acceptable topics left were TV trivia and soaps + footie. I didn't watch the former, and had limited interest in the latter.

The over-sensitivity of a few should not inhibit the reasonable behaviour of the many - it needs a compromise.

The Queens speech proposed legisation to ensure universities can no longer so easily "no platform" controversial speakers. Allowing people the right to freely express opinions in a reasonable manner is part of being a mature democratic society.

I've started a Woodcarving project thread in the Project section

The Queens speech proposed legisation to ensure universities can no longer so easily "no platform" controversial speakers. Allowing people the right to freely express opinions in a reasonable manner is part of being a mature democratic society.
Apparently, of the last 10 000 programmed speakers at universities, six were cancelled for reasons that relate to content. Universities already have legislation to protect freedom of speech. The idea they need government intervention is silly.

That's all very well, but the people running the system will just vet the speakers before they're actually invited.

.... Allowing people the right to freely express opinions in a reasonable manner is part of being a mature democratic society.
That's all very well, but the people running the system will just vet the speakers before they're actually invited.
It's political.It's part of the same argument going on in this thread about "cancel culture" and so on.
But nobody is obliged to give anyone a platform and the few that were cancelled were for good logistical reasons.
Some speakers were objected to very actively but were still allowed to speak, sometimes with added security.
It's a non issue but being seen to pretend to do something about it will appeal to the right.

Last edited:
But nobody is obliged to give anyone a platform and the few that were cancelled were for good logistical reasons.

This becomes a little bit more sticky when a platform is funded to some extent by tax dollars or is getting a tax break.

Of course, if you disagree with the people they banned, then "it's a non-issue".

Where I went to college, there were a few roving preachers doing what preachers do - standing on sidewalks at a regular basis and saving souls (you get to decide whether you believe they were or not, that's not my bag).

At some point, the university decided that the whole preacher thing was offensive because they would talk about sins of various types and tell folks who didn't believe in JC that they had no path to salvation.

So, they created "Free speech areas" on the campus where free speech is allowed. Of course, none of these areas were where students congregate between classes.

But, "they had good logistical reasons and it's a non-issue"

They also had a Christmas tree at one point in the President's office, along with other cultural Christmas season things. the President decided to declare that there was no budget to set up the Christmas tree, so it would no longer be done. The other items continued. He then blamed it on a volunteer group (called "ambassadors" - college students who gave campus tours for minimum wage - to prospective future students. The ambassadors volunteered to decorate the tree as they had done any prior year, and his response again was "we don't have the budget to decorate the tree".

Lack of grasp of reality or intentional dancing around it reminded me of a poster on here who goes by a name that rhymes with schmakob, but I won't say who it is.

(I actually had no issue at the time with the College not setting up a Christmas tree - it was partially taxpayer funded and that seemed reasonable. What I didn't get too much of a charge out of was their inability to ever tell the reason that they did certain things. Every single message was like a contest to see how ridiculously dishonest they could be).

I find Christmas ads a bit surreal, those ones which show a family at the dining table....and seem to include about half a dozen different ethnicities and religions.

I can see it's meant to be inclusive, but it does make me wonder if such a family exists.

I find Christmas ads a bit surreal, those ones which show a family at the dining table....and seem to include about half a dozen different ethnicities and religions.

I can see it's meant to be inclusive, but it does make me wonder if such a family exists.

I'd be all for using the actual ones if they want to show them. We've got American and Chinese covered. I don't think that's enough of a combination for them, though.

And the father is usually black, the mother white. Not very PC the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back