Am I the only person depressed by the number of comments with gender or racial stereotypes in them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the real problem nowadays is that free speach no longer exists nobody can truly speak their mind anymore .
it was always considered honest to speak your mind but not any more.
it was always considered honorable to speak your mind but sadly not any more .
it was always considered a good character trait but not any more.
all of the above are bieng replaced by newspeak-which above all else kills freespeech and forces good people to hide their thoughts or worse subscribe to the deception that is woke.
i joined this forum because i thought like minded people would be great to talk to and chew the cud so to speak but sadly i find myself censored so i will quit while i am ahead and leave this place i hate to be baited and not permitted a reply.
cheers all and goodby.

@woodpeckers may I ask, if you feel as in your first post in the thread, why are you not more proactive in changing that perception for example being more active in threads on the forum. As a carver of 30 odd years, you must have a massive amount of knowledge and skills that members would love to hear about. being active in passing this on would surely raise the profile of female woodworkers in a positive way and help dispel some of the ignorance.

I think its always been the same. I'm a woman, a woodcarver since the age of 14 (35 years ago :( and have encountered this. Particularly at woodworking shows unfortunately where if you show interest or wish to purchase something, sometimes they speak to my partner or totally ignore me, smile and look at me like I don't know what I'm talking about. I just tut, roll my eyes and walk away. Luckily its becoming less now as more women now seem to be doing "men's jobs" as they put it. Just think of them as ignorant.

Speaking personally I have found that talking to both purchaser and partner works better for my business. For example say it is a man buying a product then if I "woo" the wife as well, not only I am more likely to make a sale as the wife approves the purchase but later on I often get the wife coming to me directly to purchase gifts for her husband.

Yes You're right, BUT I'm quoting as a woman not a bloke though :rolleyes: I know men who like knitting and are good at it. You just accept it.

I do, thank you, what makes you think I don't. I took the mickey out of myself and no one else, is that not allowed?

Not just women though is it, suspect same happens with male nurses, male childminders. It's not the gender that's the problem it's the job is usually associated with a gender.
A man going to a knitting festival, a man crocheting, a man collecting "my little ponies", a man decorating his bedroom with rainbow unicorns, I could go on we are oppressed, I can't really do any of this without wierd looks, I just battle on......................
How many little ponies have you got now Bobby? In my bathroom I wouldn't have room for rainbow unicorns as well.

@woodpeckers may I ask, if you feel as in your first post in the thread, why are you not more proactive in changing that perception for example being more active in threads on the forum. As a carver of 30 odd years, you must have a massive amount of knowledge and skills that members would love to hear about. being active in passing this on would surely raise the profile of female woodworkers in a positive way and help dispel some of the ignorance.
Thank you for bringing this up Droogs- sounds a good idea. I would love to share experience of woodcarving ( my one evening off from two small children and running a business - busy, busy, I'm at a local woodcarving club helping new members). I don't get much time to come on here and dip in and out occasionally as I find topics of interest. I will try find the time to share stuff or start a woodcarving thread.

Not just women though is it, suspect same happens with male nurses, male childminders. It's not the gender that's the problem it's the job is usually associated with a gender.
A man going to a knitting festival, a man crocheting, a man collecting "my little ponies", a man decorating his bedroom with rainbow unicorns, I could go on we are oppressed, I can't really do any of this without wierd looks, I just battle on......................
Ah, the old 'but what about men' retort to anecdotes of misogyny.

I know men who like knitting and are good at it. You just accept it.
Peru 552.jpg

In some cultures (here Peru - Lake Titicaca) it's the norm for men to do the knitting

Thank you for bringing this up Droogs- sounds a good idea. I would love to share experience of woodcarving ( my one evening off from two small children and running a business - busy, busy, I'm at a local woodcarving club helping new members). I don't get much time to come on here and dip in and out occasionally as I find topics of interest. I will try find the time to share stuff or start a woodcarving thread.
I'm with Droogs, as a long term off and on carver I'd be interested in your work. I've sure I've seen a female woodcarver at Harrogate show, certainly there seem to be more demonstrating woodturning these days which is great to see.

Search for Dr Bob's kitchens. Only if you wish to feel madly envious..
Or join in the Christmas Secret Santa group - @doctor Bob gives away a fitted kitchen every year - astonishingly generous of him!

all very interesting I'm sure....nothing to do with my post though.

Why do you persist with such dishonest debating techniques? Do you get a kick out of trolling?
May I refer you back to my post:

There is a definite attempt to control speech, and even thought, throughout our culture at the moment. The internet is a very powerful tool for mind control - enforcing groupthink through the use of ridicule, censorship, and outright exclusion to ensure only right thinking statements get aired
Now, it turns out that I don't read the Guardian on a regular basis, mostly because they have become completely unhinged. On that basis, I was not aware of the Blue - annon conspiracy theory nonsense that you were alluding to - namely that the guardian and friends, in order to provide cover for for radical leftwing cultural Marxism (their own terminology, by the way), it is claimed that there is no such thing as "wokeness" or any of the other insane nonsense currently being promulgated by the radical left -it's just the right wing press making a storm in a teacup and trying to instigate some more race hatred and blah blah blah.

You repeatedly accuse me of being dishonest. Is it because anyone who doesn't subscribe to your world view must be lying, because your version of reality is the only possible truth? The assumption being that because I know you must be right, disagreeing with you is dishonest by definition?

Perhaps I should read the Guardian more, so I can be properly programmed.

I'm starting to realise I'm old school, and genuinely not too worried about it.
I like workshop banter.
I'm a decent fella who isn't racist, welcomes various race / ethnic groups into my family and friendship, works for the community and does a lot of volenteer work. I sometimes feel these days people just want to talk about it rather than actually doing it.
All very well protesting and posting on woodwork forums but why not actually do something.

I don't fit in this thread, I'll leave you to it.

Careful - A moron is a person with restricted mental development. Someone with a disability.
Sorry you're wrong, "moron" doesn't refer to a disabled person, check the dictionary like I did before posting.
BTW I was called stupid on an almost daily basis by my teachers nowadays they call it Dyslexia.
Thanks for the warning anyway.

Last edited:
The stuff that I was originally referring to is not "woke" type things. There aren't people referring to "tradesmen" rather than "tradespeople". There are people openly feeling it is OK to post jokes or other comments based entirely on the colour of someone's skin or the country they come from or their gender. The stuff that would get you punched if you said it to the person in question in the pub. The mods do a good job at removing this stuff, but it still keeps coming back.

I'm afraid that like it or not a lot of people in this country are a bit racist and misogynistic ( I probably am but don't like it and endevour not express it). Unfortunately a few are unwilling to recognise this in themselves or appriciate that their "plain speaking or only joking" is distressing to others.

In favour of this forum, I suspect that its a much smaller proportion of our users who are deliberately offensive, than in the community at large.

I spent my career working in schools in Inner London and later with disabled young people. What I learned from the children was that hurtful though lots of snide comments and jokes are they weren't prepared to let that get them down. But that is no reason for the rest of us not to use good manners. I hope everyone with an interest in practical work feels welcome and at home here.

The stuff that I was originally referring to is not "woke" type things. There aren't people referring to "tradesmen" rather than "tradespeople". There are people openly feeling it is OK to post jokes or other comments based entirely on the colour of someone's skin or the country they come from or their gender. The stuff that would get you punched if you said it to the person in question in the pub. The mods do a good job at removing this stuff, but it still keeps coming back.
I think your original post was quite reasonable, Peter. What's happened at some points in this thread is the same as is happening in some parts of the press, taking its lead from some parts of the political scene - take a few extreme, clearly silly cases, attach to those cases the title 'woke' or 'pc', then use those cases to try to trash everything else - however reasonable - that could possibly come under the same headings. Sadly that strategy seems to sell papers and get votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back