Am I the only person depressed by the number of comments with gender or racial stereotypes in them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder... am I alone in feeling there are too many comments that make generalisations about a particular group's ethnicity or gender and the forum mods should take stronger action? In the past 24 hours on the joke thread there's been a "joke" suggesting that women are better suited to a particular job and that black people speak a certain way and there have been plenty of others that have been removed. Those kind of comments are less prevalent elsewhere in the forum, but they do exist enough that I think if I were a black, female woodworker I might think this forum is not for me.
Yes, let's pour Detol on the world. Infact let's ban harmless humour & banter altogether.

it used to be a badge of honour for people to speak their minds,
the way we are going yorkshire people who are famous for just that will be "cancelled" by the wokeists who believe in a kind of strange modern speak which is more or less the polar oposite of comon sense.

don't worry Jacobs mob will never be in charge.
All jacobs posts help to reinforce that fact, we need these oddbods, they are the best asset at present.

Jacob hasn't got one political prediction correct in a decade, we are all safe.

His list is
Jezza will win
Jezza will win
Brexit wont win the referendum
Brexit won't go ahead
Boris will stop brexit, only logic
etc etc
Stand down folks, it's just hot air and waffle, no harm meant from him.

Last edited:
Now what on earth makes you think that? :ROFLMAO: I am in full agreement though.
:ROFLMAO: You could add "woke" now that I know what it means, though it's not a term I'm used to.

The place is going to pot, I dare say that there are many people on here who have had stressful jobs, had to work long hard shifts or just had really bad days and it is often the banter and humour amongst the workforce that has got you through, so sterilise the language and make it 100% Pc and you will increase stress levels leading to mental health issues and absence through sickness to reducing creativity and productivity, bring back the days when there were Men, Woman and the right angles where people could laugh at themselves and take things in the right context without freaking out, I think we have had evolution and are now entering devolution.

I doubt many youngsters today would have survived in the days when us boomers were at school, we may have been wearing shorts, had scabby knees and not worried about our snotty nose but life and society were more down to earth and even the teachers refered to pupils using language that would see them locked up today and programs like love they neighbour were just accepted for what they were, a comedy and no offence taken.

Prejudice shows ignorance.
Ignorance shows lack of understanding or learning.
Ergo prejudices exist in the unschooled "moron".
Moron, a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgement.
Stupid, lacking ordinary quickness of mind (dull).

Need I say more?
Careful - A moron is a person with restricted mental development. Someone with a disability.

I wonder... am I alone in feeling there are too many comments that make generalisations about a particular group's ethnicity or gender and the forum mods should take stronger action? In the past 24 hours on the joke thread there's been a "joke" suggesting that women are better suited to a particular job and that black people speak a certain way and there have been plenty of others that have been removed. Those kind of comments are less prevalent elsewhere in the forum, but they do exist enough that I think if I were a black, female woodworker I might think this forum is not for me.
Sometimes I think if I were a black, male woodworker I'd laugh out loud at those white people's insecurity and over exertion to hold the moral high ground.

I think its always been the same. I'm a woman, a woodcarver since the age of 14 (35 years ago :( and have encountered this. Particularly at woodworking shows unfortunately where if you show interest or wish to purchase something, sometimes they speak to my partner or totally ignore me, smile and look at me like I don't know what I'm talking about. I just tut, roll my eyes and walk away. Luckily its becoming less now as more women now seem to be doing "men's jobs" as they put it. Just think of them as ignorant.

Maybe the very fact that the topic is getting an airing is a good thing? I agree that we should post nothing that we wouldn't have said to our Grandparents or to a maiden aunt. If we can manage to remember - before we post - to read it through again with the eyes of a grandchild to a grandparent then consider some editing?
Only problem with that is that if I consider that generation for me then I have to include the "black sheep of the family" my great uncle on the grounds that because of the way that the British had treated him, his sister and his mother during the 2nd Boer War (internment in a concentration camp) he refused to fight for the Brits in big party 2 and ended up serving in the 21 Pnzr Division (irony). Bet he wouldn't find anything in the thread offensive.

I think its always been the same. I'm a woman, a woodcarver since the age of 14 (35 years ago :( and have encountered this. Particularly at woodworking shows unfortunately where if you show interest or wish to purchase something, sometimes they speak to my partner or totally ignore me, smile and look at me like I don't know what I'm talking about. I just tut, roll my eyes and walk away. Luckily its becoming less now as more women now seem to be doing "men's jobs" as they put it. Just think of them as ignorant.

Not just women though is it, suspect same happens with male nurses, male childminders. It's not the gender that's the problem it's the job is usually associated with a gender.
A man going to a knitting festival, a man crocheting, a man collecting "my little ponies", a man decorating his bedroom with rainbow unicorns, I could go on we are oppressed, I can't really do any of this without wierd looks, I just battle on......................

Not just women though is it, suspect same happens with male nurses, male childminders. It's not the gender that's the problem it's the job is usually associated with a gender.
A man going to a knitting festival, a man crocheting, a man collecting "my little ponies", a man decorating his bedroom with rainbow unicorns, I could go on we are oppressed, I can't really do any of this without wierd looks, I just battle on......................
Yes You're right, BUT I'm quoting as a woman not a bloke though :rolleyes: I know men who like knitting and are good at it. You just accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back