Am I the only person depressed by the number of comments with gender or racial stereotypes in them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone told me I was a racist a while back. I said so what.

They said it's illegal. I replied don't be daft.

After a bit of conversation I found out they actually believed it was illegal to be a racist.

What is the world coming to?

It is illegal to commit a hate crime, maybe that's what they were referring to

Someone told me I was a racist a while back. I said so what.

They said it's illegal. I replied don't be daft.

After a bit of conversation I found out they actually believed it was illegal to be a racist.

What is the world coming to?
Good job it's not illegal. You'd have to lock up complete ar*eholes of all races for judging others on a matter so trite as skin colour, accent, language or cultural difference rather than humanity, intelligence, kindness etc. And that's in a world wher you have access to all the knowledge of history with the internet at your fingertips. That's ironic no? Lol.
There'd be no room in the prisons for that amount of feckin class 1 idiots. They are everywhere.
I've been listening to BBC Radio 4 - A History of the World in 100 Objects - Downloads A History of the world in a 100 objects. While the time scales will blow your sense of history out of the water, the one common theme is that if as a species we were not eating, having sex or raising children then for the entirety of human history we having been killing the other humans for not being the same as us.

3efe46285c00b84ea50c5be4e5a7bb5e.jpg

When the Kush people (Sudan) finally got a chance to smash the Egyptians they only had a couple of centuries to knock a hole in 1000s of years of Egyptian tradition. What they did was adopt Egyptian traditions and just modify it. Why? Easiest way to stay in charge. Simple as that. The people of Egypt were already under control. Why rock the boat?

Last edited:
Stereotypes are not from thin air.
Italians do talk with their hands a lot in comparison to many other people, whiskey is popular in Scotland, I live in the south west of england and I do in fact talk like a farmer according to people from other areas.

Many people do appear to be almost professionally offended these days. I think they should all watch some stand up comedy shows from the 70`s to the `90`s
Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy George Carlin, Bill Hicks, etc. Mockery and humour are a great thing which stops this newly prevalent woke circular thinking, its a reality check and a reminder to relax.

Ollie
Stereotypes are OK as long as they are not excuses for hatred, prejudice, discrimination etc.
I'm probably stereotyped as a baldy lefty old tw at with a beard and glasses from oop narth but that doesn't worry me a bit - but it might do if we were being systematically attacked and prejudiced against. :ROFLMAO:

Expression of aspects of racism certainly are illegal and quite right too. Racist and religious hate crime
There's been a big effort in recent years to right the wrongs of prejudice and race hate. About 400 years overdue in terms of black people but better late than never!

Absolutely, but the credit goes to the young not yours or my generation, our generations moved it along but at snails pace

I'm probably stereotyped as

a baldy
lefty
old pineapple
with a beard
and glasses

but that doesn't worry me a bit - but it might do if we were being systematically attacked and prejudiced against.

maybe
definately
definately
yes
maybe

all very interesting I'm sure....nothing to do with my post though.

Why do you persist with such dishonest debating techniques? Do you get a kick out of trolling?
Perhaps better out than in? I didn't know what a "cultural marxist" is (supposed) to be until I looked it up, thanks to TN!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism_conspiracy_theoryInteresting how "marxist" is bandied about as an insult - but it's always by people who haven't the faintest idea what a marxist is. Mind you most marxists tend to be a bit vague on the subject. Marx said he wasn't one himself! Maybe he was just trying to confuse people, dodging and weaving.

Last edited:
Stereotypes are OK as long as they are not excuses for hatred, prejudice, discrimination etc.
I'm probably stereotyped as a baldy lefty old pineapple with a beard and glasses but that doesn't worry me a bit - but it might do if we were being systematically attacked and prejudiced against.

I agree entirely with you Jacob, there is no reason anyone should be subjected to hatred, attack and prejudice.
The problem comes when people are "finding" new ways to be offended, then going on to all and sundry about how "unfair and prejudiced" whatever they just invented is. Meanwhile, nobody else can even fathom what they are on about.

Ollie

As a child in the 1950s I grew up with humour largely built around stereotypes - religious, racial, gender, nationality, job, class, politics etc.

50-60 years on and with hindsight some of the humour seems unacceptably unpleasant - in many cases where the "joke" is the product of thinly veiled anger or envy. But much still amuses!

If we remove from humour that which may offend someone there may be little left. What passes for humour on TV today often seems a celebration of the childish, inane and tediously worthy.

I do accept that context is important - 10 "jokes" in a row with a single stereotype (eg: race or religion or gender) as its focus would be unacceptable. As part of a mixed performance I have no problem.

It may be worth listening to some below the age of (say) 25 to understand what they find as amusing - it may be that at 60+ my capacity for humour is on a par with my IT skills. Time moves on!!

Bit too much of this New Puritanism about for my liking. 'Hate Crimes' sounds a lot like the Spanish Inquisition, or Puritans banning plum puddings and mince pies in the 17th century in case someone enjoyed themselves - and look where they ended up.

There seem to be rather a lot of people going around being professionally offended these days. Too much starch in their knickers, I reckon. That, or fed too much Marxist drivel in their Meeja studies courses at university.

..... 10 "jokes" in a row with a single stereotype (eg: race or religion or gender) as its focus would be unacceptable. As part of a mixed performance I have no problem.
But the people being stereotyped might not be happy with it, which is more important.

Bit too much of this New Puritanism about for my liking. 'Hate Crimes' sounds a lot like the Spanish Inquisition, or Puritans banning plum puddings and mince pies in the 17th century in case someone enjoyed themselves - and look where they ended up.

There seem to be rather a lot of people going around being professionally offended these days. Too much starch in their knickers, I reckon. That, or fed too much Marxist drivel in their Meeja studies courses at university.
Hi CC I thought you were taking up an interest in philosophy! Was it last year or the year before? Obviously haven't started yet - don't give up so easily!
PS a bit dated still going on about Meeja studies! This is "Meeja" by the way, which you are looking at now.

Last edited:

CC You know I respect you, but it's not 'meeja studies' it's everywhere, it's on the net and that's where they get their bread and water. Our day has already gone. We just dont realise it yet. It is current youth culture. In 20 years it will be the norm.

very easy to talk the talk on a woodworking forum.
Put the effort in to real life.

........... try and do someone a good turn, and not get found out, if someone knows about it, then it doesn't count. That's a toughie, I'm in a recovery program and did that religiously every day for 3 years, one of the hardest things I have ever done, especially when the deed is brought up in conversation and occasionally claimed by another.I still follow a program and try to do the above just not every day.

Be nice to everyone, do good deeds and you can't go to far wrong. I feel no need to take a knee, or protest.

If I appear grumpy or mean at times on the forum, it's usually with characters I have know online for years, they give as good as they get, I hope I don't upset people.

It will be a shame if workshop floor banter was ever banned. It becomes very PC challenged at times.

Last edited:
CC You know I respect you, but it's not 'meeja studies' it's everywhere, it's on the net and that's where they get their bread and water. Our day has already gone. We just dont realise it yet. It is current youth culture. In 20 years it will be the norm.
Chris, not sure I entirely agree. I was trying to use a bit of levity to make a more serious point, which is that through history there have always been Puritans of one sort or another trying to enforce their will on the rest of us. In general, they haven't succeeded to any substantial degree. The current 'woke' puritanism is coming from a very small minority of very noisy individuals. Sure, some parts of the establishment have been thoroughly infiltrated by them - the BBC, for example; but (pretty much as a result) how often do you hear ordinary people saying they no longer take much notice of the BBC? Quite a lot, I suspect. Some of the 'woke' colleges in America are now struggling because student numbers have dropped off significantly (Evergreen, for example). The current government is addressing the question of free speech in universities, in part with a Bill announced in today's Queen's Speech. When 'woke' idiots throw statues in harbours and write 'Churchill was a racist' on his statue, the vast majority were not impressed.

All is not lost, but there is still work to do to re-establish common sense and tolerance.

Last edited:
Off to bed. Just thought I'd post this up for tomorrows debate

Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 22.24.43.png

Chris, not sure I entirely agree. I was trying to use a bit of levity to make a more serious point, which is that through history there have always been Puritans of one sort or another trying to enforce their will on the rest of us. In general, they haven't succeeded to any substantial degree. The current 'woke' puritanism is coming from a very small minority of very noisy individuals. Sure, some parts of the establishment have been thoroughly infiltrated by them - the BBC, for example; but (pretty much as a result) how often do you hear ordinary people saying they no longer take much notice of the BBC? Quite a lot, I suspect. Some of the 'woke' colleges in America are now struggling because student numbers have dropped off significantly (Evergreen, for example). The current government is addressing the question of free speech in universities. When 'woke' idiots throw statues in harbours and write 'Churchill was a racist' on his statue, the vast majority were not impressed.

All is not lost, but there is still work to do to re-establish common sense and tolerance.
To avoid misunderstanding: "Woke" is a technical term used by you right-wingers and means nothing to normal people. It's like a secret language. Does it also involve funny hand shakes?
Don't be so damn patronising. It's offensive.
Just trying to get you out of your comfort zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back