Am I the only person depressed by the number of comments with gender or racial stereotypes in them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To avoid misunderstanding: "Woke" is a technical term used by you right-wingers and means nothing to normal people. It's like a secret language. Does it also involve funny hand shakes?

Just trying to get you out of your comfort zone.
By right winger I take it you mean anyone who does not agree with you

But why, what on earth are you talking about? Or could say why not if it keeps you happy.
It doesn't mean anything - it's like a secret masonic language, made up and for some reason making people angry.
Maybe people just like feeling angry?
In fact, come to think, making people angry is the selling point of the Daily Mail, The Sun and others. A very old press tradition!
Now your attacking masons

But why, what on earth are you talking about? Or could say why not if it keeps you happy.
It doesn't mean anything - it's like a secret masonic language, made up and for some reason making people angry.
Maybe people just like feeling angry?
In fact, come to think, making people angry is the selling point of the Daily Mail, The Sun and others. A very old press tradition!
Just for you Jacob ... Woke - Wikipedia
There's More To "Woke" Than You Think - it has, as I understand it, and in the context of the current discussion, come to mean 'politically correct' although that wasn't its earlier meaning.

Cheers
Loretta

As a female woodworker (ish), I can confirm that jokes stereotyping women are not offensive and can be funny. If anything, I find it that comments about "the missus" in other threads (or the joys of not having one) are a lot more offensive.

Being Irish, Northern Irish, Not a proper Paddy some would say.

Being the butt of racial jokes pretty much world wide, I've noticed that the Irish tell more Irish jokes than anyone.

Bit Irish that. :)

Do I get banned now?

Just for you Jacob ... Woke - Wikipedia
There's More To "Woke" Than You Think - it has, as I understand it, and in the context of the current discussion, come to mean 'politically correct' although that wasn't its earlier meaning.

Cheers
Loretta
OK thanks for that. Seems to be a flexible term depending on who is using it.
Used by BLM activists past and present in a fairly intelligible way but also by the opposition as an insult, as also is "politically correct". Got it! I'm definitely on the side of the "woke" but I'm not going to wear the T shirt!

Last edited:
If this island is so bad why do do people from around the world come here, maybe because we are father feed them all, easy touch, our history is ours if you cannot accept that do not come here.
But our history is theirs too, for better or worse. They come here because we went there.

Maybe the very fact that the topic is getting an airing is a good thing? I agree that we should post nothing that we wouldn't have said to our Grandparents or to a maiden aunt. If we can manage to remember - before we post - to read it through again with the eyes of a grandchild to a grandparent then consider some editing?

The problem as I see it, is that we British are in danger of loosing our heritage to the "Don't offend" brigade who don't like the History we have made, take it or leave it, it happened.

A few miles from where I grew up in the 1950/60s there was a main road where the council had very helpfully put up signs to alert drivers. The sign changed every few years as perceptions of the different terms changed (apologies if the words actually offend):

- cripples crossing
- handicapped crossing
- elderly crossing
- disabled crossing

I may have missed a couple of iterations. The signs are now no longer there having been replaced by traffic lights using illuminated "cross" and "don't cross" symbology.

I am distressed that these appear to be male symbols - the stick humans are wearing trousers (or naked). They certainly don't wear skirts or use wheel chairs.

On reflection I realise I shold raise this with the roads department and organise a demo to protest at blatant sexism and a failure to recognise wheel chair users as part of society.

I'm quite sure there would also be a racial or ethnic issues attached to the blatant abuse of minorities were it not for the fact that the authorities have chosen red and green for the imagery!

I find it hard to argue with this, which is taken from a Facebook post wrongly attributed to Ron Howard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-12-09-54-56-259_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-12-09-54-56-259_com.android.chrome.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 69
Prejudice shows ignorance.
Ignorance shows lack of understanding or learning.
Ergo prejudices exist in the unschooled "moron".
Moron, a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgement.
Stupid, lacking ordinary quickness of mind (dull).

Need I say more?

Last edited:
the less politically correct and offensive, the more I like it, we are being controlled by 'woke' people, it really annoys me how easily people are offended thesedays, it's also getting worse and making me be more offensive deliberately with jokes especially. 😂

I'm the same but It's all relative I guess.

If the OP was a Boomer they would probably have watched and most likely laughed at TV programs such as:

Love thy Neighbour
'Til death us do part
It ain't half hot Mum
Black and White Minstrels
Rising Damp
Allo Allo
Are you being served?
Curry and Chips
Mind your Language

Add in numerous offensive but at the time, popular comedians, Carry on and Confessions films, etc.

Today they are shocking to the vast majority of people, including those brought up on them. Attitudes have moved on considerably but people still see the need for a completely sanitised, perfect, egalitarian world. People will always find something to be offended by and a noisy minority spend a lot of time searching for it.

The joke thread has some funny ones and some lame ones. If people are that easily offended they really need to stick to woodwork threads. The archeologist joke is funny (assuming that one has caused the OP to post). In my experience women have far better recall of events than I do. My wife certainly does and she laughed at the joke.

Maybe the very fact that the topic is getting an airing is a good thing? I agree that we should post nothing that we wouldn't have said to our Grandparents or to a maiden aunt. If we can manage to remember - before we post - to read it through again with the eyes of a grandchild to a grandparent then consider some editing?
Not disagreeing with you, just mention that people of my grandparents generation, Born at the end of the 1800s certainly didn’t stop and think about the feelings of the people they were talking to, I think if you went back to those times you would be shocked, people said what they thought straight out and to your face then.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of s**t by the clean end!"
You don't have to believe everything they tell you Phil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back