Am I out of touch ;-)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D88B3738-F8CA-4222-A1DB-A085A16225BC.png

Was gonna complain that hammer aint a 2lbs lump hammer but then it is German and metric as opposed to a good ol' haberdashers special at 3' 6

In this mornings Aldi advert they are showing something called a Drilling Hammer

Not having heard of such an implement I googled it to find a video explaining why I should have one
(at the end of it was a prompt to watch a video on the VC winners at Rorkes drift which was very interesting but am unsure what the connection to hammers was ;-) )

But I digress, it appears that a Drilling Hammer is actually what I know as a lump hammer

When did Drilling Hammer enter the scene? anyone else heard of it or is it just me that hasn't

Screwfix apparently sell Drilling Hammers which are clearly made of gold sprinkled with fairy dust as they are £60, so the £6 one at Aldi sounds like a bargain but will stick with my collection of hammers including lump hammers ;-)
My father called it a "star drill" and it was available in different diameters depending on how big a hole you needed. I watched him many time "drilling" a hole in concrete to install an anchor for some use. Time consuming but efficient for it's day. I have a hammer drill that does the same task in mere seconds/minutes.

I bought a star drill some years back from a local builders merchant and apparently it was the last one in stock and he obviously thought I was a nutter. He was right and I did my wrist in - bought a Bosch GBH drill later.

Last edited:
I have a 5lb I guess lump hammer 24" handle, picked up from a men's shedder who sadly died earlier in the year. Such a useful hammer and sits in my van for those on site jobs needing a little persuasion.

Antiques, these days we use drills but years ago we had tools that you hit and rotated to make holes for rawl plugs. The hammers were called club hammers and it kept you fit if you had a load of fixings to do. These days why sell something called a drilling hammer!

View attachment 140630
similar to @cmoops2 above, I called this a “:jumper” - it was much quicker in hard brick etc than one of these:
A2FCCD72-E2BC-4B99-BE50-4B32BE9D9660.jpeg

and btw @Phil Pascoe thank you for the mine visualisation - fascinating!

cheers

Yes, and they're the known workings. My daughter actually got a place at Camborne School of Mines (now under Exeter university) to read geology, but turned it down on the morning of her A level results (they asked for AAB and she got better) - because she knew she wasn't very good at chemistry. Her life might have been very different had she taken it, but she doesn't regret it.

Because you have to brace yourself before using one, reminds me of the days drilling holes through joist with a wood auger where you only got 180° of movement at best and on large jobs it was hard work.

Because you stiffen yourself to push against it as you use it. Originally the term comes from boat/ship building

lol @Spectric you appeared just as I hit save

Thank you makes sense as i have used this one a few times its got a ratchet mechanism so you dont have to rotate 360° and forward and reverse , My dad would use nothing else

Antiques, these days we use drills but years ago we had tools that you hit and rotated to make holes for rawl plugs. The hammers were called club hammers and it kept you fit if you had a load of fixings to do. These days why sell something called a drilling hammer!

View attachment 140630
In my apprenticeship days these were known locally as Star Drills or rawlplug tool and useed with a normal 18 ounce claw hammer or a lump hammer. I see, Screwfix still list those as rawlplug tools.

From slightly dim memory I dont recall useing the rawlplug fibres which you wetted and pushed into the hole untill much later, I think the plug we used was a brown compressed fibre plug looking very much like a plastic plug with a hole through the middle, I think the mix it yourself stuff was supposed to be an improvment,,or is my memory playing tricks on me?
BTW I have an intense dislike of those continental hammers, the ones where the head is just a square block one side and a sloping rear,,,they look so crude,,,,maybe I need therapy?
Steve

I know them as lump or club hammers, I've never heard them referred to as drilling hammers.
I do remember the days before power drills were popular that we used a a tool together with a club/lump hammer to fashion a hole to accept a Rawlplug but those hammers were also used with a bolster to cut bricks etc but I've never heard them referred to as a Drill Hammers until now!

Back