Am I out of touch ;-)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
In this mornings Aldi advert they are showing something called a Drilling Hammer

Not having heard of such an implement I googled it to find a video explaining why I should have one
(at the end of it was a prompt to watch a video on the VC winners at Rorkes drift which was very interesting but am unsure what the connection to hammers was ;-) )

But I digress, it appears that a Drilling Hammer is actually what I know as a lump hammer

When did Drilling Hammer enter the scene? anyone else heard of it or is it just me that hasn't

Screwfix apparently sell Drilling Hammers which are clearly made of gold sprinkled with fairy dust as they are £60, so the £6 one at Aldi sounds like a bargain but will stick with my collection of hammers including lump hammers ;-)

Antiques, these days we use drills but years ago we had tools that you hit and rotated to make holes for rawl plugs. The hammers were called club hammers and it kept you fit if you had a load of fixings to do. These days why sell something called a drilling hammer!

1659178497819.png

Thanks but yes I know of these as I have some and used them back in the day ;-)

Club hammer I have heard of before aka usually a lump hammer in my experience but when did this term drilling hammer enter the scene, I have been around quite some years and never heard of one

Antiques, these days we use drills but years ago we had tools that you hit and rotated to make holes for rawl plugs. The hammers were called club hammers and it kept you fit if you had a load of fixings to do. These days why sell something called a drilling hammer!

View attachment 140630

Well apparently Screwfix sell them, named as Drilling Hammers, so I don't think its a language translation thing, I wondered if it was an American term thats made its way over here

It may be down to something like google translate if the hammer was made in an exotic location.
Regards
John

Maybe you need to go way back to before they had compressed air jack hammers in the mines, in the 17th century they used long drill bits that one person would support and rotate whilst another person would hit the end with a hammer, could this be where the term drilling hammer comes from?

I can well imagine that could be its origin, but in over 60 years on this planet I have never heard of one until today

Maybe you need to go way back to before they had compressed air jack hammers in the mines, in the 17th century they used long drill bits that one person would support and rotate whilst another person would hit the end with a hammer, could this be where the term drilling hammer comes from?

Germans in colloquial speech don't call it a lump hammer or a club hammer, their term is to call it a drilling hammer - Bohrhammer

Just as we say "I need a drill" and would automatically think of a powered machine (B&D or Makita/Dewalt) even though originally it would have been the egg beater type that was meant by this as before that we would have said Brace. So too with the Germans they transferred the name to the new fandangled electric based thing in everyday speech.

Surely there have been miners in this country for many thousands of years ?
Depends on the definition of mining, yes the Romans mined for lead and other metals so did future generations but using simple bell pits. The German miners knew how to drive in deeper levels & shafts, provide drainage and better ways to crush and seperate the ore using water power. They built the largest and most productive copper mines in Europe in the Coniston valley and mined all over the lake district, including Graphite in the Borrowdale valley.

Yea but a ploy by Aldi he has got loads of hammers but hes not got a drilling hammer I will get him one for his birthday. Looks very much like my geologists hammer i bought from Manchester Minerals

I think you'll find the 1st miners in Britain were actually Cornish around 15,000 years ago getting tin
But just scratching the surface and taking the easy pickings, not really into hard rock mining. I call them German but to be more precise they were from what is know Austria

" Tin mining became really big business in the 16th century. From the 1540s, production increased at a rapid rate. Open cast mining techniques were used for the tin boom, with German miners who were experienced in the technique being employed to train their English workmates."

Lump hammer? Ain‘t that the current fan-bois flavor of the month being pushed in the states? Only $100.00+!

Anyhow, star drills are very efficient. I was taught how to use one 40 or 50 years ago: strike, then rotate.

I know this tool as a 'jumping drill' - they were available in a range of sizes and simple to use - hit the end, rotate a few degrees, hit again etc. The ones I used to own have long gone but were a Rawlplug product ...

Latest posts

Back