Am I Mad?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
I have so much in my workshop that when I want a particular tool that I haven't used for some time that I can't remember where I put it. (Old age?) So I have been on a bit of a tidy up. Now I am a sucker for rescuing unloved planes and once they become part of the family they are all friends and I don't like to see them leave. I don't own any exotica but do have a couple of modified Stanleys with Clifton blades.
I have taken a photo of just some here. There are eight number 4's of various makes alone!
planes7.jpg
. For goodness sake, it pains me, some have just got to go. There is one Stanley extra special that Alf may be able to shed light on here
planes4.jpg

So I may bring a few with me to Yandles
Does anyone else suffer from this ailment? No Alf, put your hand down , give someone else a chance!!

Aldel :shock:

I presume you'll be keeping that much sought after (ho ho :roll:) Stanley with black plastic handles and orange trim? You know, the one that only takes sharpened metal strips instead of proper blades?

Such a plane was the first that I ever owned. It almost put me off woodwork for life. I do hope you're not about to inflict it on an unsuspecting public... surely, Aldel, you wouldn't be so heartless as to unleash the most effective antidote to the greasy slope that has ever been created.

Gill

Ah Gill,

You are observant! I was given that plane as payment for two days worth of hard computer fixing by a (friend?). You really do need to own one just to demonstate it as probably the World's worst designed tool ever made!

Aldel :roll:

I have a confession to make. When I finally realised that my poor woodwork had a lot to do with that Stanley plane, I did something that would be absolutely unthinkable to most woodworkers.

I'd purchased an old Stanley No 4½ at the Ledbury auctions for the princely sum of £8. I got it home, tuned it up in accordance with the instructions from Garrett Hack, and suddenly found that I could plane wood by hand. It was a revelation!

I then took a lump hammer to my Stanley with black plastic handles and orange trim, just in case it should ever fall into the hands of another unsuspecting novice. My goodness, I worked out a lot of frustration that day! So I'm ashamed to confess that I have committed the woodworkers cardinal sin of deliberately destroying a hand plane. In mitigation, M'Lud, I plead that the description of the contraption as a 'hand plane' was quite misleading.

I'm sorry one of these fell into your hands, Aldel. It's a poor reward for two days' hard graft.

Gill

Well done Gill!
A brave, selfless act! (hammer)
Alan-you really have a bit of a problem. When you start thinking about selling your Rat to buy a bronze, skew, low angle, scraping, rebating Lie-Valley then you really know you've gone too far! :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D
Who doesn't have a plane problem :^o , no Sir......

aldel":2ntysydf said:
I have so much in my workshop that when I want a particular tool that I haven't used for some time that I can't remember where I put it. (Old age?)
No. Definitely too much stuff. :p I do the same and I'm not going to admit to Old Age just yet. :wink:

So I have been on a bit of a tidy up. Now I am a sucker for rescuing unloved planes and once they become part of the family they are all friends and I don't like to see them leave.
Oh dear. You too? :oops:

I don't own any exotica but do have a couple of modified Stanleys with Clifton blades.
Erm, s'cuse me but is that not a #98 there? (or #99 - I never can remember) :-k

I have taken a photo of just some here.
Just some?! Holy Moly, you have got a problem. :shock:

There are eight number 4's of various makes alone!
Please take note, folks; he has more smoothing planes than I do.

There is one Stanley extra special that Alf may be able to shed light on here
Erm... no? :oops:

So I may bring a few with me to Yandles
So anyone intending to navigate there by compass should make allowances for the magnetic anomaly approaching from the west then... :D

Does anyone else suffer from this ailment? No Alf, put your hand down , give someone else a chance!!
Hah! Are you kidding?! I'm a mild case in comparison. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it... :-$ )

Gill, you done a Good Thing. =D> =D> =D>

Cheers, Alf

Gill,

Keep looking over your shoulder, you may receive a visit from the R.S.P.C.P

Anyone prepared to home a problem plastic handled plane?

Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Planes

Aldel :cry:

Back