Aluminium tubing questions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
First time on the metalwork forum for me as i'm a woody but i am looking for a bit of info on ali tubing. I bought some 1' 1/4" and 1' 3/8" 16g last week without really knowing anything about different grades. The stuff i got was 6063 T6 and i understand that 6061 T6 is the better stuff. I have since found a site called Aluminium Warehouse that is a lot cheaper but the stuff it sells is 6082 T6, so i'm getting a bit confused. Is there much difference between the grades and if so, how do i determine what is best for me? Don't want to pay extra for stuff if i don't need to.

Ive bought from aluminium warehouse, there prices are very good and a nice clear website with online ordering.

Thanks for that marcros, it helped a lot. It seems 6082 is strong but not as good a surface finish which rules it out. Looks like i need 6061 or 3.

I use it for the frames and tables that i make. I took over a business last year and do all the wooden parts, while they have carried on doing the metal parts for me until i get going. I will be taking over that part too this year now that i have got on top of the woodwork side of it. I got the stuff from the same supplier they use but they were a bit stuck in their ways and never shopped around for alternative products or suppliers. Probably why they couldn't make it pay. I just rang the company and ordered the tube without then knowing about the differing grades. Seeing the same size tubing at greatly varying prices has got me doing a bit of investigation into availability and prices. I need one that has the best finish as it is seen.

RobinBHM":7oi4nwlr said:
Ive bought from aluminium warehouse, there prices are very good and a nice clear website with online ordering.

Yeah, i've been on that site and it is a lot cheaper than what i paid but the grade is 6082 which i have now found out from the link marcros gave me is not the best surface finish. I will have another look and see if they do different grades.

Having looked at Aluminium Warehouse again, their 1' 3/8" tube is 6082 and their 1' 1/4" is 6063 and i need both sizes.

i am looking for a bit myself, to use as practice on my metal lathe. 6061 is what you will heard described as aircraft grade aluminium. you may get a marketing advantage using this as it sounds more impressive.

are you welding or machining it?

No welding or machining. Just cut to length and dropped into slots. Some of the longer bars are cut in half for shipping and need a join, which i'm also working on. They are currently joined with a small section of tube inside the main tube and screwed through.

Latest posts

Back