ALUMINIUM T-TRACK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnold9801

Established Member
Reaction score
Apart from Axminster and a few other woodwork suppliers, does anyone know of anywhere else where you can buy aluminium t-track at a much cheaper rate in the U.K.?

Regards

NazNomad":2kcwk1kb said:
T-bar or t-track?

My apols.... I meant “T-track!”

If i could source it more cheaply than woodwork suppliers sell it for, I would like to use it for my radial arms saw cut off table/bed.

Regards

pcb1962":3lizayvs said:
Rutlands sell it for £2.50 a foot, how much cheaper do you want?
Its a VERY simple aluminium extrusion which outside of the woodworking world retails for 1/2 of that price.

I buy 2m lengths of similar track designed to go with 20x20 extrusion. Costs me about £7.50 delivered. I make that about £1.12 per foot and its a more complex extrusion shape.

Just search for "aluminium extrusion C channel" or U channel... with a bit of hunting i found half a dozen suppliers in this kind of price range though volumes and delivery costs varied.

transatlantic":3lizayvs said:
Other than being completely out of stock that ebay link is to 800mm lengths for £10.89 thats over £4 a foot so even more expensive than rutlands!

Brandlin":3q534pnc said:
pcb1962":3q534pnc said:

Its a VERY simple aluminium extrusion which outside of the woodworking world retails for 1/2 of that price.

I buy 2m lengths of similar track designed to go with 20x20 extrusion. Costs me about £7.50 delivered. I make that about £1.12 per foot.

Just search for "aluminium extrusion C channel" or U channel... with a bit of hunting i found half a dozen suppliers in this kind of price range though volumes and delivery costs varied.

Is it the standard size though? so that you can use 3rd party jigs. U or C channel won't work with jigs that use the T shape to clamp things

It would also help if you linked the products you're talking about.

transatlantic":2e56yj0s said:
Brandlin":2e56yj0s said:
pcb1962":2e56yj0s said:

I buy 2m lengths of similar track designed to go with 20x20 extrusion. Costs me about £7.50 delivered. I make that about £1.12 per foot.

Is it the standard size though? so that you can use 3rd party jigs. U or C channel won't work with jigs that use the T shape to clamp things

It would also help if you linked the products you're talking about.

That rutlands channel IS "C" channel. "U" channel doesn't have the lip.

Thank you for your replies. Am glad other sources have also noticed that if it’s sold by anyone from the woodwork fraternity that it costs a lot more than other sources.

Will have a look at your suggestions.

Regards

Arnold9801":1be3ov0l said:
Thank you for your replies. Am glad other sources have also noticed that if it’s sold by anyone from the woodwork fraternity that it costs a lot more than other sources.

When you find somewhere you can buy it cheaper than Rutlands please post a link here.

That really is a very good price, 16ft for £27. It's not long ago that it was priced at £39. I have a fair bit, so I don't need any at the mo, but if I did, I'd be stocking up.

BTW, when I first started selling jig bits and pieces, I looked at importing. I can't remember the figures now, it was years ago, but I do remember coming to the conclusion that a) I would have to shell out a couple of grand up front and b) I still wouldn't be able to compete with Rutlands on price.

Fill yer boots, I'd say.

Arnold9801":3aufcelx said:

Regards

It is like the wedding industry isn't it? Once a normal thing is targeted at an audience that has more acceptance of high costs, the cost rockets.

Sharpening gear is a good example of this. Knife sharpening stuff is typically cheaper than woodworking sharpening gear.

Bodgers":1gjt4cb0 said:
Arnold9801":1gjt4cb0 said:

Regards

It is like the wedding industry isn't it? Once a normal thing is targeted at an audience that has more acceptance of high costs, the cost rockets.

Well possibly, but none of the people here saying that Rutlands and others are putting an excessive markup on aluminium T track have so far shown this to be the case.
I've checked Aluminium Warehouse, Metal Supermarket etc, none of them sell it, so this is a niche product and niche products always sell at a premium price due to low volumes.
Can one of you who's saying that it's overpriced at Rutlands please give one link to somewhere it's sold cheaper?

Er looks like it’s £39 to me, unless I’m missing something? The Rutlands one that is.

Back