Aluminium sash clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Practically speaking all aluminium sash cramps of the generic type that turn up secondhand or that I have seen people use for anything but light hobby use are broken. Broken ones turn up in surprising numbers.
Not quite what I would spend my money on.

In Britain you have an excellent supply of secondhand Woden and Record T-bar cramps. They are excellent and almost everlasting and don't cost much. Get some!
Myself I have some elderly Woden and Record and one Bessey sash cramp. They are all good. The rest are old British cramp heads that I have mounted on 25x50x3 rectangular mild steel tubing with holes drilled at 50mm intervals. They work surprisingly well for a reasonable cost. Much better than the same cramp heads mounted on a wooden board.

Practically speaking all aluminium sash cramps of the generic type that turn up secondhand or that I have seen people use for anything but light hobby use are broken. Broken ones turn up in surprising numbers.
Not quite what I would spend my money on.

In Britain you have an excellent supply of secondhand Woden and Record T-bar cramps. They are excellent and almost everlasting and don't cost much. Get some!
You cant have too many clamps. You will find you need a variety of sizes, strengths and numbers, from F clams of different lengths etc. In my experience having an eclectic set of sizes and strengths has served me well for years. so go for it.

Cheap new aluminum U are the majority, they are light and versatile and fordable, but I have a few strong Record T bars when you need to pull a very heavy M&T together.
You cant go wrong with the cheap aluminium for light jobs, the ones you do every day. But if and when you can afford a few heavyweights get them or get them second hand - as Heimlaga says - beware of second hand aluminum as that is how scrap gets passed on.

I have 4 record T-bar from ages ago, four foot and six feet long. They are indestructible but very heavy and unwieldy but do those jobs where strength is needed, and a few cheaper steel ones from seally at 4 ft that are lighter but strong. I even use them to clamp long ladders to the house etc for getting to the roof as they are going super strong.
But for every day jobs, the most used are the aluminum u tubular ones that are cheap, light and amazingly useful. Had them for some time without a problem. Lots of deals on amazon. eg these 2ft ones for a £10 er. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000LFXIFS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found the Paul Sellers thing a year or so ago and upgraded some of mine with his wood thing, but for most jobs they are ok without the reinforcement ones work. His double sided sellotape trick is essential to either hold the cheap platic guards on, or better replace with plywood, its quick and easy. You dont need to re-enforce the u bar on all of them just ones you want to do a meatier joint. As for G clamps pictured
Tools on wall 2020.jpg
, they are a throwback, cheaper f clamps work fine. However I inherited a load of g clamps and they are ok, but I wouldnt buy any new ones (except for a fun deal on ebay) a they need to much winding .
As I said, you wont regret getting a set of Rutland or amazon. You cant have too many clamps. (ps The long and heavy sash clamps are hanging up on the roof truss in front of the lad, they were needed for the second box - not captured in this old photo.)

I have machine mart / clarke t bar sash clamps, £30 a pair for the 900s.... nice and strong..
The op stated he has used the clamp heads on battens for years, and as an upgrade, you could replace the batten for 2x1 box steel. Ive got a few sets, steel is available in 5m lengths, so you can built long strong clamps for cheap using box

Back