Aluminium? Cast iron? Gimme rocks.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
Tired of wonky aluminium table tops? Fed-up with inaccurate cast iron ones? Then take a look at this idea.

Maybe this idea just rocks.

Scrit

Imagine using granite to make a hand plane! Just epoxy everything in place except the iron and cap. No more fettling - ever!

Gill (who's hoping she hasn't used the wrong plane component names :oops: )

its not such a strange idea.
granite has been used in met' labs as the prefered material for surface plates for many years , some 25 years ago I used to work on a bit of kit that was mounted on a granite slab 12ft *6ft8 18" thick at the woolwich arsenal this was flat to within 0.004" across diagonal,
cleaning something like this was with soapy water ,and was a suprisingly robust surface (not easily damaged but could be scratched.

dave w

so really they are bringing the workshop into the kitchen :lol:

where do you put the eggs when sawing :roll:

philly when you want i can let you see my granite chisels and you can decide how to do the plane. you 'd certainly get a decent amount of weight behind it :twisted:

paul :wink:

Might have trouble cutting the mouth and so forth... :-k :lol: If you wanna come down and pick yourself some granite "in the wild" to try, give a yell, Phil. Know a chap with a quarry. :D

Cheers, Alf

Well I just happen to have some granite upstands left over from a job......
Thanks for the offer, Al :lol:
Paul - surprised you didn't use float glass for your chisels....... :wink:
Philly :D

I assume people are aware Granite is slighty radioactive?

Now Kitchen granite worktops are peaking in popularity, I guess this might by a good outlet for anyone who got heavily involved in their supply.

lurker":348daw60 said:
I assume people are aware Granite is slighty radioactive?

It doesn't seem to have done Aberdeen any harm :) .

Gill

philly the chisels are tungsten carbide tipped, which is also i think radio active :twisted: found the glass ones only went one way :lol:

as for the aberdonians, gil, have you been there????

actually the more worrying thing must be for alf since cornwall is supposed to float on a layer of that funny gas, is it radon??? or similar.
now we understand more :roll:

paul :wink:

Don't talk to me about Radon. Did I tell the tale of how our Radon reading actually increased with every measure we installed at the NRPB's recommendation? Muppets. :roll: Nothing wrong with a healthy glow-in-the-dark anyway...

Cheers, Alf

I had some granite left over from a job so I thought I'd use it for flattening. Although it looked flat, on measuring it was surprisingly lumpy.

Interesting to see whether that was unsusual or whether Philly's upstands are the same.

Cheers

Tim

"Nothing wrong with a healthy glow-in-the-dark anyway..."

Quite right too! as someone who walks over nuclear reactors on a daily basis, I can't understand why people worry about a bit of radioactivity.

Having said that, Radon gas scares the ***t out of me.
Make sure your underfloors are well ventilated Alf.

Back