Aluminim extrusions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont have a specific address but have you tried a local Aluminium Stockholder?? or perhaps a window company if they still use them, point of display company might have some.

Sorry I cannot offer a secific location.

Bean

Philip

I was thinking along the same lines but I think eventually laziness might take over!

I'm afraid I'm in the wrong country to be of much use to you with the extrusions

Laziness has been a problem with me, too. I have a large old bandsaw where I have at last (5 years) properly fitted the "new" bearing assembly under the table. Hacked away at cast iron last night and what a difference to the standard of cut.

So the plan now is to do away with the piece of wood and two clamps and move onto a proper fence. That's not too difficult to build in steel, but I wanted something higher, in aluminium if possible.

Local stockists just seem to have simple shapes and window sizes are a bit too small for what I want.

It might be easier just to make mdf attachments to fit to a basic box section steel fence.

Philip

I know what you mean. I can get aluminium oblong section about 5" high by 3/4" wide. They sell it in the diy sheds but it's meant for plasterer's straightedges and doesn't have any strengthening webs up the inside of it so I'm not sure how long the face of it would stay flat

Scott":2f1ffknw said:
doesn't have any strengthening webs up the inside of it

How about shooting it full of the expanding foam to make it more stable? Just an off the wall idea that I sometimes have that might be useful. :-k

Just noticed this thread after my own posting. Try Aalco up in Mallusk; they have an on line catalogue and a vast range of metal sections of all sorts. Hope this helps. Sam

Hi Philip,

I might be able to help, I have some Ali extrusion in the workshop, different sizes, they have tee slots in them for mounting things too, like sacrifical wooden fences. what sort size and length are you looking at. I might have some going spare, or if not I may be able to have a word with a company I used to work for and get some of their cut offs.

all the best

Neil

I think I've got most of the bits from a segewick TA315 tablesaw fence. You'd need to buy able to drill two at a guess 10 or 12mm holes in the side of your table to mount a substantial steel bar ~ 20mm diameter on which the fence runs. It's a pretty heavy duty setup, but it's lying idle at the mo - let me know if you're interested.
MBK

DaveL":20ny5jue said:
How about shooting it full of the expanding foam to make it more stable?

Could be worth a try Dave. I'm having "issues" with squirty foam due to the previous tenant's over-use of the damn stuff but I guess I could force myself to buy a can! :)

Neil,

I'm looking for something around 2' long and about 5" or 6" by 3/4" thick which could be attachable to a steel fence - I have an oldish copy of 'Shop Accessories you can build' (articles from Fine Woodworking) which has quite a good design - so am really looking for the kind of alumunium extrusion which you find on jointers etc..

The online catalogues for Aalcoa etc. don't seem to do anything as complicated as that.

Philip

devonwoody":21x0r6ym said:
3/4" thick sounds pretty hefty to me. Perhaps you could laminate,
ali, ply, ali to make up that thickness?

I would have thought a hollow ali extrusion would be lighter than the lamination, were you thinking of solid flat ali bar?

I know you can get something like 4"x1" Hollow as I know the drive layers use them to screed off the samd before laying blocks.

Jason

Hi philip,

I will check on what lengths I have in the workshop when I get home this eve. The stuff I have is from Bosch and they builb machine bases from it. I know i have some in 80 x 40 and may have some in 120 x 60. there are tee slots on all sides. Wall thickness of about 4mm but the inside is profiles so the section is every stiff and will not bend. I have used it for cnc machines and such, so its good stuff, you can also join it end to end and side to side. will see what I have and what my last company have in as scrap (offcuts) and get back to you.

All the best

Neil

I found some great stuff on eBay that I'm going to use for my miter sled fence.

ad_2.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7536354027&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

80/20 http://www.8020.net/ sells all of their offcuts and seconds there.

Back