Alternative Water Grinders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
Having retired and left my beloved Tormek behind me I now need to buy my own for the home workshop. Does anyone have any experience of the alternative, and generally cheaper water cooled grinding systems? Should I just bite the bullet and fork out the Tormek money or would one of the cheaper versions serve me just as well now that I only have one set of chisels and plane irons to sharpen rather then a dozen?

If all you've used is a Tormek you'll only find shortcomings and faults and be saying "It's not as good as a Tormek" constantly if you go to one of the cheaper alternatives.

I've got the larger model from rutlands (i dont they sell it at the moment), it is just as good as the tormek it replaced.

What's wrong with a honing stone boy?

Now that I've gotten that Python misquote out of my system, honing guide + diamond plates?

If you can't be without a grinder a standard one with CBN wheel fitted will outperform a Tormek by a factor of about a zillion :) with just as little chance of blueing an edge.

There's a good intro to CBN wheels in this Stumpy Nubs video from 2018:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOXXiPK1L4s

Back