Alternative to Titebond

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichD1

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m just about to start a new project to make some new sashes both opening and fixed for my bay window.

I’ve always used Titebond but my usual supplier, Axminster have been out of stock for a while now and still no confirm restocking date.

Any other wood glue I should look at?

Needs to be exterior and works on hardwood and have a reasonable assembly time.

Richard

Epoxy every time
‘Wests’ is pricey but very reliable. Dependant on hardener and temperature you get a decent assembly time.

That's an easy one: Everbuild D4. Easily as good as TB3, fully waterproof (not for constant marine immersion) easy to clean up and best of all....it's cheap. I can buy a litre in town for less than a fiver - Rob

If you want to push the boat out.....resorcinal glue. Cascophen from rest express is decent price. 2part and works on any oily or difficult woods like oak.

I use quite a lot of polyurethane glue since I use quite a lot of Accoya and rate it quite well, although others will say it's rubbish.

I tend to be looking for faster glues rather than slower but from experience:

Lumberjack PU - 5-10 minutes open time
Soudal Pro 45P - 10-15 minutes
Wurth PU - 15-20 minutes
Gorilla (Stupidly expensive) 30+ minutes

I would normally say for someone who wants to take their time they should use Cascamite definitely, but recent reports say "It ain't what it used to be".

woodbloke66":1whm53lm said:
That's an easy one: Everbuild D4. Easily as good as TB3, fully waterproof (not for constant marine immersion) easy to clean up and best of all....it's cheap. I can buy a litre in town for less than a fiver - Rob
Agree on all points, but the OP did say he needed reasonable open time - D4 isn't my glue of choice for that. Not in the summer, anyway.

Cascamite or Titebond polyurethane glue as it has the longest open time I’ve found so far for a PU glue

D4 stays workable a little longer if you can fine water mist the surfaces. But I have found in hot weather its quicker setting than super glue.

D4 should give enough work time and at that price well it’s a no brainer.

sammy.se":1ihro6qr said:
..........Is there a reason you can't use Amazon?

Not wanting to aid their destruction of local retailers, their failure to pay proper levels of tax, their wasteful packaging...... :lol:

MikeG.":7ghrk1mv said:
sammy.se":7ghrk1mv said:
..........Is there a reason you can't use Amazon?

Not wanting to aid their destruction of local retailers, their failure to pay proper levels of tax, their wasteful packaging...... :lol:

but... next day delivery! ;-)

Latest posts

Back