Alternative to micro mesh

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a dry alternative for micro mesh for polishing acrylics? Over the last 6-8 months, I've made a fair few pens and a lot of tree ornaments (100+ so far) so I've got a bit of experience with micro mesh.
If there's no other alternative, fair enough but I'd rather not use water if possible.
thanks
Jon

I like micromesh, but going through 5 grits of paper, then 11 of micromesh drove me to distraction si I would suggest going to 320g in paper of your choice then I use a polish. I can't recall the brand I have (farecela I think) but when I last looked it was either discontinued or had changed packaging.

Anyway, it was a system of a couple of polishes, the first removes the scratches, the second the tiny scratches and the third makes it like a mirror (I only had 2 and 3). Novus seem to do a similar one and I am sure that many car auto care places will do something.

Another alternative, a polishing mop and compound in the lathe or on a grinder.

On the pens I have made I sand to 1000 grit and then take it to my buffing wheel. I suppose you could use liquid polishes if you had to do it on the lathe but I honestly think the finish from a mop and proper compound is far better than even a good micromesh finish.

I keep meaning to try but I wonder whether flame polishing may work. It did wonders when I did it on an item off the lathe.

Thanks for the replies. Ive read about farecela a while ago on a US pen turning site but the thread was about 6 years old, I'll have a look to see if its still available.
On my next Axminster order, I was considering including a mop mandrel, some mops and compounds for other projects so that could be a solution.

My first thought was (after dry sanding) to use Yorkshire Grit and then Yorkshire Grit Microfine but I struggled to find any information on how effective they are on acrylics. I've never used either and didn't fancy spending £20 I had no idea about.
I agree, Micro Mesh is good. But, As Marcros said, going through all the grits (after dry sanding) gets a bit tedious.

Plus, I recently got a new lathe and I'm still in the 'honeymoon period' and going OTT covering it up to avoid any wet spots.:eek:

Thanks for the replies. Ive read about farecela a while ago on a US pen turning site but the thread was about 6 years old, I'll have a look to see if its still available.
On my next Axminster order, I was considering including a mop mandrel, some mops and compounds for other projects so that could be a solution.

My first thought was (after dry sanding) to use Yorkshire Grit and then Yorkshire Grit Microfine but I struggled to find any information on how effective they are on acrylics. I've never used either and didn't fancy spending £20 I had no idea about.
I agree, Micro Mesh is good. But, As Marcros said, going through all the grits (after dry sanding) gets a bit tedious.

Plus, I recently got a new lathe and I'm still in the 'honeymoon period' and going OTT covering it up to avoid any wet spots.:eek:

I haven't used the Yorkshire grit but it would be worth asking the manufacturer. As for the polish, you wont need much at all. I got a tube of each compound (probably 300ml or so) and it has lasted me years.

this always gets good reviews, Hut Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish- 8oz

Found an old thread online of mine on a pen forum. Farecla 300 and 500 was what I bought.

I've used five or six grades of Abranet before w&d but find it easier to use just w&d .............. a perfect finish after fifteen grades ..............

Seriously, it's only a wipe with each but I've a lathe with chromed bed bars, no cast iron to worry about.
I have the two Yorkshire Grits, a proprietory plastic polish (I forget the name for a moment - it was expensive (just seen above - it's Hut)) and a buffing cream (which is good, Liberon, iirc) and use mostly casein and cellulose rather than acrylic - it's just a bit of experimentation to see what works with what, although I find coarser w&d far much better on acrylic - it doesn't generate the heat.

Yorkshire grit works great with acrylics.
I have yet to try the microfine one.
Burnishing cream is another thing to try as well.

Can anyone suggest a dry alternative for micro mesh for polishing acrylics? Over the last 6-8 months, I've made a fair few pens and a lot of tree ornaments (100+ so far) so I've got a bit of experience with micro mesh.
If there's no other alternative, fair enough but I'd rather not use water if possible.
thanks
Jon
I can confirm Yorkshire Grit "Fine" works wonders.

Back