Alternative to Bosch T 308 BOF for tight curve in 18 mm MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I am fairly new to woodworking and I need to cut some heart shaped openings in 18 mm MDF. The radius of the curve is circa 30 mm and the default blade which came with my Bosch PST 650 is clearly unsuitable. I had a look at the manual - I am a new user so I can't post links.

I included a snippet below anyway, it says I need a "T 308 BOF" but these are only pricey and only available online.

My question is, what is the next best blade I can go for?

T 101 AO and T 101 AOF are both for clean curves but only up to 15 mm. I would imagine they can still produce decent results in a slightly thicker sheet - or am I better of with T 244 D, which are in stock in my local Selco, and OK for up to 50 mm but branded "fast" as opposed to "clean"?

My budget is limited and I don't use the jigsaw that much so I don't want to buy a full pack of the wrong blades. I don't mind branded/unbranded - any suggestions would be appreciated.

It seems I cannot even include pictures? I keep getting "Your account does not have permission to post links or domain/page references." even if I replace dots with the word dot. Well if it helps I have posted the same question on the woodworking stack exchange and you may be able to see the links and snippet on there.

If you're aiming for clean, crisp openings, then maybe a jigsaw is not the right tool for the job.
I think you'd get better results if you cut out most of the waste with the jigsaw, and use a router and jig for the final contours of the heart-shaped opening.
A hole saw might also work, but it would have to be pretty sharp for good results.

Back